You are definitely on the right track , but I have a couple of others suggestions:
- Work at a boys and girls club or a YMCA as a counselor or a teacher or both! If there are not any positions then volunteer some hours. You will get some good experience within that venue of all sorts of children and adults. Your M. Ed will look very good for obtaining a job here!
- Check with your college and see if there in any sort of internship in which would be applicable to what you are looking for. Make an appointment with a counselor where you are going to take classes so that he or she might become your mentor and give you lots of suggestions. Sometimes you can help out a counselor as an aide and that would be a great opportunity for you.
- Check with your local hospitals or clinics and see if there is a volunteer or job opportunity for you to do some counseling in that venue.
- There are plenty of non-profits that work with children and adults that you could also check with them and see if your skills can be utilized!
- Also sometimes there are state funded jobs for counselors in a school system or a government run business and that might be something for you to check into.
Carole recommends the following next steps:
- Whatever you do make sure that your resume is updated and it shows your degrees and your job skills. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!! You have a wonderful education already and seem to know what you want to do, I am sure that you will find it.
- Research some of the resources that I suggested above and set up a plan as to what you want to research first. Having a goal is #1 in this journey for the right job for you and you are definitely on your way.
- I wish you all the best in your search for that special and I know with your qualifications you will find it.