How easy would it be to be hired at an art auction house/art gallery without Art/Art History as a major?

Asked Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I intend to study Political Science and minor in Art History, but I have heard that many people within the art world are majors in art/visual art/art history. I wanted to deal with the business side of art, but wasn't sure if my minor would be acceptable to the likes of Sotheby's, Christie's, etc.

#art #art-history #galleries #careers #business

Eric’s Answer

Updated New Jersey, New Jersey

Hi Tanya,

Great question, and the answer is not here unless someone answering it is from one of the major auction houses... so, my suggestion is ask them directly. Make a call to Human Resources and speak with someone directly about your goals and desires.

Truth of the matter is, on paper a candidate with a major in Art History would likely be the preferred hiree, as with most positions in the workforce. But that is not always the case and the best way to find out is to ask the source.