What doors can an MBA open for someone?

Asked Ann Arbor, Michigan

I've been heavily encouraged by my family, peers, and some advisors to eventually seek out an MBA after attaining a degree in Finance or Economics and i'd just like to know what opportunities having an MBA can lead to.
#mba
#mbaisworthit
#business

Victoria’s Answer

Updated Dallas, Texas

Hi Charles,

This is such a great question! An MBA can open so many doors for you because an MBA gives you a great foundation in a variety of business subjects from marketing, to finance, to accounting, to management information systems, to human resources. At the end of your studies you take a capstone course that allows you to use and apply all the courses you took during your program. An MBA is hard work but it is so worth the effort. You meet exceptional teachers and students. You can even pursue an MBA while working. I was not sure that I would use all the classes I took but when I graduated and started working I use everything I was taught every day. This is a very useful degree because it teaches you the language of business and commerce. There are even MBAs in government, industry, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math careers, and the arts. MBAs are literally everywhere and employers hire MBAs because they know that you have a well-rounded business education. MBAs are often combined with a specialty like cyber security, human resources, finance, area studies/languages, and many other fields.

I have included a link to a good article to give you an idea of how versatile this degree choice really is.

https://onlinembapage.com/25-best-things-you-can-do-with-a-mba-degree/

Victoria recommends the following next steps:

• Check out the link, try to find other articles about MBAs, look at the bios of executives and professors. Read as much as you can. Find an industry you really like and try to do an internship or shadow an executive.

Vinay’s Answer

Updated Dallas, Texas

It depends on your major and your interest. I did it in Entrepreneurship and it was an amazing experience. It can open a lot of options for you. In first year, we had marketing, finance, MIS, operations and sales. So, we got an idea of almost all the departments in a company.

Tiffany’s Answer

It honestly depends... What is your experience going to be beforehand? Where are you getting your MBA?  I found when I moved from one city to another, the MBA was not as valuable as my experience and connections in the new city. If you plan on staying in the city/state that you get your MBA, it may be more valuable, because of the networking available in your market... OR, if you are getting a degree online or can get the degree with the company you work for, this may be more valuable and open doors for you within the company.