Why did you choose to become an RN? Do you have any other career choices ?

Updated Kankakee, Illinois

What made you choose this career? Was it personal reasons, experiences ?
#registered-nurses #nursing #nurse #pediatric-nursing #nurse-practitioner #career

Teresa’s Answer

Updated Memphis, Tennessee

Dear Rashana,

I have been a nurse for 32 years now, but I can remember clearly why I chose this path.... I was in my first year of college to be an engineer when my mother was hospitalized. I spent a lot of time with her and saw the nurses coming and going from her room. I loved how they were kind and worked to explain what was going on with us every step. I started asking them why they chose nursing and that made me consider the path. After my first year of college, I changed to nursing and got a diploma before I got my RN licensure. In 2015 I finally got my bachelor's degree and am considering going back for my master's degree later this year. I believe that nurses can really make a difference in the lives of people. I know that people can find fulfillment in many jobs, but I believe that is the real BONUS of nursing- seeing that you improve lives when you do your care is such a benefit. I hope you are encouraged to find your career by talking to people who do that work in your field of interest, just like I did- Best of luck Rashana!

Teresa

Lisa’s Answer

Updated Indiana, Indiana

I became a nurse because I wanted to take people from some of the lowest most broken and vulnerable time in their life and help them rebuild their life. I also grew up in a medical family, and that helped as well. I could have done any career, and I would have the love and support from my family. The real beauty of nursing is that you can be a nurse and do almost anything to expand on your knowledge. I have added to my nursing career and have taken other classes and obtained certifications in forensics, and law as well. You don’t have to be in a hospital, or nursing home, or hospice to make a difference in the world. I will always have dreams, you just have to know what you want, and always be open to learning and take every opportunity you can. If someone says you can’t do that as a career choice, make that a motivation to prove them wrong! Good luck to you! Nursing is the greatest profession there is, and I truly enjoy the path that I have chosen.