This is a great question! Relationships are key in every aspect of your life. Here are some things that have helped me build strong relationships with my colleagues and higher ups. Building strong relationships has given me so many additional opportunities in life, it's a huge asset to your career.
- Be uplifting, congratulate people on their success.
- Help when you can even if it's outside your own workload. They will return the favor when you need it!
- Be low maintenance for your higher ups. Try to find the possible solutions before you just present them with the problem.
- Be Teachable. Being open to feedback will only make you better. This can sometimes be a challenge when you feel strongly about your own idea, or it's not what you wanted to hear. However, most of the time your leadership has your best interest in mind and do your best to be open and apply what they are saying. I found when my boss can see I take their feedback and use it to improve they want to help me succeed even more!
Somaly recommends the following next steps:
- I would read How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.