If I don't go to college what successful job could I get?

10
Pros
10
0

Umesh’s Answer

Hi Kendra,

I would encourage you to go to college.

However, if that is not possible, I would recommend that you consider a career in the medical field.
I think you should be able to go to a community college and get training to become a Xray technican or some other technician carrer in medicine.
Don't let the word college scare you, this is not an university.

Umesh
1
Pros
1
0

Nicole’s Answer

Hi Kendra A. Thanks so much for your interesting question.

In trying to answer your question, I am going to phrase it just a bit differently...consider the question "if I don't go to college, what successful career can I build?". In this rephrasing, I am suggesting to you that a job is different from a career. I bet you are pretty smart and can figure things out in ways that are positive for you. If my bet is correct, then you probably already understand that a job is generally something for the "here and now". You can get a "good job", depending on what your definition of a good job is. It could be the amount you get paid or the hours you work or your job flexibility. A career, though, takes some imagination, creativity, hard work and time/patience. A career typically lasts longer than a job...and in my opinion, a successful career includes a formal college education.

There are endless studies that show how a college degree helps people to grow..both professionally and personally. Also that being in a college environment can help to stimulate creativity and can help to build life-long relationships and strong networks. I also add, that your starting point in either a job or career can be elevated with a college degree.

Even in sharing this, I acknowledge that college may not be for everyone...I also acknowledge that college can and should be a personal experience and as such, you may find that you can create a college experience that is unique and comfortable for you. I wish you the best of luck on whatever path you take.
1
Pros
1
0

Caroline’s Answer

Allot of companies have upward mobility from non-college positions. For one, you could work at a grocery store and look into becoming a manager through networking and maybe some certifications as well as hard work. Additionally, you can learn technical skills as a network field worker and leverage your experiences there to being a mew perspective to people who work in corporate positions for the network company. You can also look into starting your own business as something your passionate about, become a real estate photographer and eventually maybe real estate agent. The opportunities are harder to find but you can definitely work hard and get there!
0

James’s Answer

Hi Kendra,

Depending on your definition of success, there are a lot of trade professions that make a lot of money especially in the New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania areas. An individual can do apprenticeships in 2 or 3 years and make a very stable living after only a few years. If someone enjoyed traveling they could enroll in flight attendant school and have the perks of making a living and having an affordable way to travel and see much of the world. The United States Postal Service hires high school graduates and offers great benefits and pay raises based on how long one works there. There are lots of options for individuals who choose to forego college in pursuit of starting a career. I also went to college and worked several jobs that did not require having a degree in the construction industry and organic farming.
0

Naomi’s Answer

I would start by trying to determine what your interests are and trying to see if you can make a career there. From there you can determine if a college degree, certification, etc might be needed to move forward in your career. Many careers don't require a college degree but might require a certification...I've seen this in the technology field.

0

Gloria’s Answer

Hi Kendra,

There are many jobs that you can do and earn good money without a college education. In my experience, being good at a job is about skill, no matter how you got those skills. In most things, skills are used through learning, whether formal or informal. I am not sure what you want or like to do, but I would say strive to be your best in what you do. Take classes, even if it is a single online class, to improve your skills. Seek out mentors who do what you want to do and do it well, then ask them how they learned to do it well. Many skills are simply improved through practice and feedback. Ask for feedback in whatever you are doing from people who want you do well. Feedback is the greatest gift you can get - it will tell you what you are already doing well and give you insights into how you improve.

Gloria
0

Jon’s Answer

Hi Kendra! Here's a very different answer than the rest.
Spending four years in college can waste lots of time and money, compared to gaining four years of work experience. In most fields with four years of experience you'll be hired faster, earn more, and advance faster than anyone with just a bachelors degree and no prior relevant work experience.
So how do you get it? Lots of ways.

Computer programming, game and app development, security, help desk, system administration, technical documentation, and professional services:
Take free online courses in any of the technology areas you're curious about. Then start contributing to Open-Source Software (OSS) projects, or online games and mobile apps. You'll learn a ton, and can send links to your contributions to prospective employers, who can easily see that you have relevant experience.
Don't be intimidated by computer jobs! Jobs like Technical Documentation, Help Desk, and Technical Support are not that hard to learn, and pay $60-100k. You often get stock options that add much more to that. After you've learned that employer's software in your first position you can move up to jobs in the $100-200k range.

Bookkeeping isn't hard to start learning, and there's huge demand for it. You can start with free versions of popular software, take free tutorials, and then find part-time work, or find part-time assignments from remote-work platforms like Upwork. If you find you like it, you can later decide to go to school part time for Accounting or Tax Preparation, and they're good paying careers.

I also agree with Umesh’s answer. There are many Healthcare Certificates you can earn in one to two years, and they'll get you started in a great field, also paying $50k and up. You usually get great health insurance benefits, and many employers will pay education benefits so you can learn new things and level up if you're interested.

0

Madisyn’s Answer

Good afternoon,

There are many satisfactory jobs that don't require college degrees. Some examples include: bus driver, chef, fitness instructor, plumbing and or maintenance working, beauticians, exterminators and etc. It is possible to make a satisfactory amount of money and access employee benefits in many of these fields without a degree.

However, even though some of jobs do not require a college degree, they may require a specific certification in that field of work. For example, to be a beautician, you may be required to obtain a cosmetology license. This is something to keep in mind when considering the jobs that you will be applying for. Essentially, any job that you apply for may require certain achievements, even if that achievement is not a college degree.
0

Many employers require evidence that you're knowledgable or skilled in the area they're hiring for, and a college qualification (degree, cert, etc.) is a very straightforward way to provide that. My personal experience in the IT field is that there are opportunities to make a great career without college qualifications, or for people who have a degree in a completely different field. But it's harder to demonstrate that you're skilled enough, especially for your first job. You need to be creative, and possibly search harder for suitable opportunities. I have preferred the companies I've worked for where they were open to candidates who were capable but not degree-holders. And some of the best people I've worked with didn't go to college. After a few years, it's often your experience that matters, not your qualifications.

That's true in IT, and I'm sure in many other industries. But many professions require you to be accredited by or be a member of a professional organisation or body (e.g. accounting, legal, etc), and those organisations sometimes require a degree as a basic prerequisite. Next thing for you would be to identify what you want to pursue, and then find out if you absolutely need a qualification.
0