I want to be involved with the Music Business but it's always changing

I want to be part of the music business and events. I"m not sure the best way to pursue a lucrative career spotify or @BusinessMarketing ? music-industry business music

3
Pros
3
0

Paul’s Answer

Hi Grace! Your question is kind of open-ended, but let me see if I can give you some insight.

You mention events, so I assume you mean live events? There are a LOT of ways to go, no matter which direction you take, so you're going to have to narrow some things down for yourself.

Paul recommends the following next steps:

1. Focus on an area. You mention event and business marketing. Do you mean both together? Because that's a promoter. In that direction, I'd say look at places like Live Nation for the combination. Or maybe it's one or the other. In live events, there are producers, accountants, technical directors, etc. That's not even mentioning audio, lighting or video. Getting an idea of where you want to head will give you a better direction.
2. Where do you want to be? You mentioned Spotify. Did you know their main office is in Norway? You ready to move there? Sometimes geography determines what you do. If you want to stay near home, it may limit some things.
3. Who are the big players in your field? In the case of Spotify, there's other big players - Apple Music, Amazon, Deezer, Tidal, etc. Do they have opportunity?
4. Reach out. Sometimes cold calling is the best. Maybe they have internships, maybe they have job openings. Maybe they have an office near you so you can go to school and work for them. Giving them a call never hurts, the worst they can do is say no and hang up.
5. Be determined. My only guarantee in this business is you WILL get stepped on, overlooked, or ignored. Somebody else is gonna take credit for something you did, or get you fired simply because they don't like you. That's just the way it is. The people that stay are the people who are not derailed by these things. Keep trying!
0

vladmir’s Answer

Hi, Grace. I was wondering if is the money the best guide for your decision. I don`t think so. I think you need to be good and the money comes depending the range of people that your job embaraces. Simple like that, the more people your job moves, the more money you make. And beeing the best moves you to the first place in profitability. So choose with your brain and heart and enjoy the results.

0

Nir’s Answer

If you're looking for the best chance to have a lucrative career then the music industry is not the place for it. However if you feel you have a calling and want to make a decent wage then in the technical space of music (software engineers, IT) I think is your best chance. Next would be business if you can work at some level of management in a company like Spotify or Apple Music. But if you want to actually have music be part of your daily work then unfortunately there is no position that has a "career path" and is lucrative. There's too many people who want to do it and not enough jobs. You could definitely get there but studying music vs something else won't necessarily give you a heads up because it's mostly about connections and being in the right place at the right time.
0