7
Asked 3130 views

What is the entry-level salary at a consulting company?

I'm interested in getting benchmarks on salaries for university graduates in the United States who are going to work at major consulting companies. Is there a big range? Are there any good recent studies? #consulting #compensation

Thank you comment icon You should clarify what you mean by university graduate--post college, or advanced degree? J Pan

7

3

Han’s Answer

I would check out Glassdoor.com, as the answer can vary a bit based on firm and location. Search for Bain, McKinsey, BCG, Deloitte... that should give you a good sample.

General guidance:
College grad (Bachelor's degree) is $60K - $80K
MBA or advanced degree grad is $100K-$150K

3
1

Vijay’s Answer

Salary is attributed with various factors such as Location (San Francisco, Ca Vs Austin, Tx), School in which you gets graduated and company in which you are recruited. I have seen ranges between $60 K to $80 K for Post graduate students. Sometimes it might be luck to join start-up with stock option and later become IPO and gets you profitable.

1
1

Ace’s Answer

Salary also depends on the location of the job. For example San Francisco and New York will have a higher salary, but the living cost will be also higher. For example in San Francisco, the entry level will be closer to 100K

1
0

Steve’s Answer

As you look at the Consulting roles, I break them down as Partner, Sr. Consultant, Consultant, Analyst and Jr. Analyst. So on the entry end you are looking at an Analyst role. If you are working for a tier 1 Consulting firm they may bill that person out at $750 per day (8 hours), so then after a 45% mark-up I would say that an Analyst earns about $45-$55 per hour gross or about $95K per year to start. This can vary depending upon your degree programs and whether you have a graduate degree (MBA for example).

Enjoy the Consulting life!
0
0

Steve’s Answer

Enjoy the Consulting life!
0
0

Usman’s Answer

Hey Jared,

Definitely check out Glassdoor,com as it provides details based on level and region.

0
0

Steve’s Answer

A consulting firm (like an Accenture, IBM or PwC) will usually hire an Analyst level fresh out of 4 year college or graduate program. While the firm may charge a client $700 daily or $87.50 per hour as an example, the actual consultant in this case the Analyst will earn about $210 a day or $26.25 per hour. In some cases the Analyst may get a higher rate depending upon their degree or years of relevant Industry experience.

Be wary of the excessive amount of travel required of a Consultant during regular times.
0
0

J’s Answer

The major consulting firms usually have a similar range in terms of salaries. Do you mean university graduate as post-college or post-MBA/JD/MD/PhD? Typically post-college salary are around $60K and post-MBA/JD/MD/PhD (advanced degree) salaries are around $140K.

I'm not aware of any recent studies.

0
0

Vic’s Answer

It depends on location, schooling, alignment w/i the firm. I would create a template and post it in fishbowl to have current consultants to populate. Each firm may have a different model ex: PwC has a cohort model.
0