53
Updated 6212 views

What is the most fulfilling aspect of your job in the fields of accounting, auditing, consulting, and/or taxing?

People like me often search for jobs that will allow them to make a difference in the world and give their life purpose meaning, and direction. Who knows? Maybe accounting could realize that goal. #accounting #auditor #auditing #accountant #consulting #tax #taxation #consultants

53

2

Grant’s Answer

Hi Mireia,

For reference, I am an auditor currently working at PwC.

While I wholeheartedly agree that the people and perks (pay, job security, benefits) of the accounting profession are a huge draw, my answer more closely echoes Michael's. The part of my job that gives me the most fulfillment is the ability to step into a business and very quickly understand the ins and outs of any company and industry. Not only does this provide challenge, which I believe is important to any job, but you will be also able to gain a solid understanding of many different businesses and industries in the very beginning of your career. I have found that the knowledge you can gain from experiences in audit can set you up very well for a career in just about any facet of a business.

I want to address another part of your question before submitting this...
If you are looking for purpose and direction or the ability to make a difference through your career, you will get out what you put in. Make sure you make the most of your future company's resources. That said, in the accounting profession, I have found that many firms put great emphasis on volunteering and giving back to society.
Thank you comment icon Thank you for your insight! Mireia
2
1

Alexandra’s Answer

As an accountant who specialized in cost management, I believe my job is key to save jobs. Part of my job is to assess if we will be on budget at the end of the year and to see how to make cost savings. I believe that forecasting the future costs adequately and accurately means that the business may not need to make people redundant and may even at times be able to hire new employees.

We are supporting the business and helping them to make sound business decisions. I can show them where they are not efficient and how they can manage their funds better. Also, I help to assess if a project or a product is financially viable and profitable, which can save a lot of money, time and resources.

Finance is at the core of everything. Without funding, you cannot help others or improve the current situation. And a good cost management or accounting work will enable your company to do much more with their money that they would do without sound advice.
Thank you comment icon Your insight is much appreciated! Mireia
1
1

Joe’s Answer

For me over my nearly 25 year career, what has been most rewarding falls into two areas. 1) the people I have been able to work with and learn from. There are some amazingly smart individuals and it amazes me everyday that I hear or learn something new from someone. From the people perspective, the coaching and mentoring enviroment is some of the strongest I have ever experienced. 2) The variety of opportunities to work on different projects/clients and the ability to have different experiences and begin do develop your own career path. I started in audit and spent 14 years doing that but made a career change later on into the Learning & Development team where I have been for 13 years. In this group, I have served as a full-time faculty, a project manager, an instructional designer and am now in our Operations team overseeing the financial and talent management of the L&D team. Everyday is different which keeps me engaged and motivated.
Thank you comment icon Your insight is much appreciated, Thank you! Mireia
1
1

I think these career choices are very foundational in nature because you can become acutely aware of what a company is doing and then provide suggestions and advice as to how to improve the company. Some may see an accountant as someone that just merely keeps track of the books and records, and pays the bills. Alternatively, accountants can be so close to what's occurring in the company that they can offer suggestions to executive management for ways to save money, products that are not all that profitable and should be terminated, strategic advice on geographic regions to pursue, etc. Separately, all of these jobs generally result in a good amount of analysis and problem solving. This makes work fun.
Thank you comment icon I appreciate your insight! Mireia
1
1

Peter’s Answer

Few things are more rewarding than a team member taking a step forward, accomplishing a goal or earning a promotion, especially when you work with them directly on a project or as their mentor. This is by far the best part of my job.
Thank you comment icon I'm excited to put your great advice to good use! Annie
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much for your insight! Mireia
1
0

Danielle’s Answer

Hi Mireia,

This is a very insightful question. For me personally, the most fulfilling part of my job as a manager at PwC is working with my teams, coaching them and seeing the growth of the individuals. For me, it really is about the people. What is most important to you? If you can answer this, I am sure you will be able to find the right job to help you feel fulfilled.

Best wishes on your journey!
0
0

Analise’s Answer

I am in management consulting and I would say the most fulfilling part of my job is the impact that I am able to have on the companies that I help! Being able to meaningfully contribute to the success of companies with powerful missions makes me feel like I am able to have a lasting impact in my work!
0
0

Lauren’s Answer

I love this question and that you're thinking about this, because your job should be fulfilling! For me it is definitely the people within my office...I know everyone and it is a great sense of community. That easily translates into the work force and managing our team dynamic working together as well, because you have those solid relationships.
0
0

Simeon’s Answer

The most fulfilling parts of my job are some of the technical skills that I pick up on my job. Also, it's nice to get to see new parts of the city and learn about different types of businesses. Plus, the people at the of the company are pretty passionate about making the world a better place and use the firm's reach and resources to help. It does a lot for company morale.
0
0

Whitney’s Answer

Hello!

The most fulfilling part of my job is working with my team. I have always enjoyed working in a team dynamic and that we are all working towards one goal.
0
0

Saania’s Answer

Hi Mireia,

Great question! I think the most fulfilling aspect of my job is getting to meet different people and being able to work together as a team and cover for each others strengths and weaknesses. In my field, we often form teams to work on a certain client, and you never feel alone during that particular job. If you are stuck on one thing it is likely that another person on your team has the answer. Being an auditor has taught me how to work with my peers better and allowed me to learn how I prefer to help others and be helped by others.
0
0

Layal’s Answer

The most fulfilling aspect is the success factor - when you give an advice to the client and you see it happen. You can see that they have implemented it and it was a success. To be part of the solution is key and to give practical advice not just theories.
0
0

Snow (Xue)’s Answer

For me, the most fulfilling part of my job in the fields of accounting and auditing is that i get to work on different clients and am able to always learn something new from each client. Additionally, I can get to work with different teams and meet people who come from a different background than me. Not only I am able to learn from different clients and different team members but also from the different tasks I am assigned to each day as well. Last but not the least, I can easily switch my prefer line of service, so I have plenty of opportunities to explore what I am really passion about.

0
0

Jacqueline’s Answer

Accounting Firms can certainly provide opportunities to make a difference in the world and your community. As a personal example, my firm is involved with a program called Creative Computing in which we teach coding via a program called Scratch to minority and under-served 4th and 5th graders to foster their collaboration, problem solving, and critical thinking skills. It has been an incredible experience getting to know the bright and curious students in our classes over the 9 week program and to impart in them a love of technology and an understanding of the future job opportunities that will be available to them within the STEM space.
0
0

Dieter’s Answer

I currently work as an Indirect Tax-VAT consultant at EY and there are a number of things why I really enjoy my job. First of all, and maybe the most important, I really like the team I working with. Secondly, we assist clients active in different sectors and across the globe which all have their specific needs. My experience from having discussions with clients is that they really appreciate if you advice them in understandable and practical way (sometimes less is really more).
0
0

Aya’s Answer

As an auditor, the most fulfilling aspect is to correct most of the misstatements in the financials.
0
0