What is the most fulfilling aspect of your job in the fields of accounting, auditing, consulting, and/or taxing?

Asked Houston, Texas

People like me often search for jobs that will allow them to make a difference in the world and give their life purpose meaning, and direction. Who knows? Maybe accounting could realize that goal. #accounting #audit #auditor #auditing #accountant #consulting #tax #taxing #taxation #consultants

Joe’s Answer

Updated Charleston, South Carolina
For me over my nearly 25 year career, what has been most rewarding falls into two areas. 1) the people I have been able to work with and learn from. There are some amazingly smart individuals and it amazes me everyday that I hear or learn something new from someone. From the people perspective, the coaching and mentoring enviroment is some of the strongest I have ever experienced. 2) The variety of opportunities to work on different projects/clients and the ability to have different experiences and begin do develop your own career path. I started in audit and spent 14 years doing that but made a career change later on into the Learning & Development team where I have been for 13 years. In this group, I have served as a full-time faculty, a project manager, an instructional designer and am now in our Operations team overseeing the financial and talent management of the L&D team. Everyday is different which keeps me engaged and motivated.
Your insight is much appreciated, Thank you!

Peter’s Answer

Updated New York, New York
Few things are more rewarding than a team member taking a step forward, accomplishing a goal or earning a promotion, especially when you work with them directly on a project or as their mentor. This is by far the best part of my job.
Thank you so much for your insight!

Updated New York, New York
I think these career choices are very foundational in nature because you can become acutely aware of what a company is doing and then provide suggestions and advice as to how to improve the company. Some may see an accountant as someone that just merely keeps track of the books and records, and pays the bills. Alternatively, accountants can be so close to what's occurring in the company that they can offer suggestions to executive management for ways to save money, products that are not all that profitable and should be terminated, strategic advice on geographic regions to pursue, etc. Separately, all of these jobs generally result in a good amount of analysis and problem solving. This makes work fun.
I appreciate your insight!

Alexandra’s Answer

Updated London, England, United Kingdom
As an accountant who specialized in cost management, I believe my job is key to save jobs. Part of my job is to assess if we will be on budget at the end of the year and to see how to make cost savings. I believe that forecasting the future costs adequately and accurately means that the business may not need to make people redundant and may even at times be able to hire new employees. We are supporting the business and helping them to make sound business decisions. I can show them where they are not efficient and how they can manage their funds better. Also, I help to assess if a project or a product is financially viable and profitable, which can save a lot of money, time and resources. Finance is at the core of everything. Without funding, you cannot help others or improve the current situation. And a good cost management or accounting work will enable your company to do much more with their money that they would do without sound advice.
Your insight is much appreciated!

Grant’s Answer

Updated Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Hi Mireia, For reference, I am an auditor currently working at PwC. While I wholeheartedly agree that the people and perks (pay, job security, benefits) of the accounting profession are a huge draw, my answer more closely echoes Michael's. The part of my job that gives me the most fulfillment is the ability to step into a business and very quickly understand the ins and outs of any company and industry. Not only does this provide challenge, which I believe is important to any job, but you will be also able to gain a solid understanding of many different businesses and industries in the very beginning of your career. I have found that the knowledge you can gain from experiences in audit can set you up very well for a career in just about any facet of a business. I want to address another part of your question before submitting this... If you are looking for purpose and direction or the ability to make a difference through your career, you will get out what you put in. Make sure you make the most of your future company's resources. That said, in the accounting profession, I have found that many firms put great emphasis on volunteering and giving back to society.
Thank you for your insight!

Snow (Xue)’s Answer

Updated Montpelier, Vermont

For me, the most fulfilling part of my job in the fields of accounting and auditing is that i get to work on different clients and am able to always learn something new from each client. Additionally, I can get to work with different teams and meet people who come from a different background than me. Not only I am able to learn from different clients and different team members but also from the different tasks I am assigned to each day as well. Last but not the least, I can easily switch my prefer line of service, so I have plenty of opportunities to explore what I am really passion about.

Mark’s Answer

Updated Boston, Massachusetts

The most fulfilling part of my job is engagement. I get to engage with clients to try to solve their problems and offer a fulfilling, rewarding experience to them. I get to engage with staff, to assist them in achieving their career goals, address their concerns and challenges, celebrate achievements, and support them inside and outside of work. My engagement with both my clients and team members helps foster my skills and continued development, and ultimately makes my job more rewarding!

Mark recommends the following next steps:

• To understand whether this is the right field for you, I think you need to ask yourself what are your values and goals. And then speak with other professionals in this field to see if their experiences align with your values and goals.

Megan’s Answer

Updated Indianapolis, Indiana

I currently work in auditing at PwC. Our firm has many opportunities for, and even encourages employees to participate in volunteering that is meaningful to you. They will also match your donations to certain charities. Personally, I have participated in Junior Achievement (JA), a program where you teach a program about financial literacy to a classroom. I was able to do this during working hours. For me, it is fulfilling to work for an employer who cares about local communities and encourages employees to take an interest in them as well.

Brice’s Answer

Hi. I will say the possibily to keep learning and having a new challenge each day. For a person who doesn't love having to do the same thing again and again i believe the audit speciality is perfect for me because i have different client and different kind of speciality each day

Martin Olivier’s Answer

Updated Québec City, Canada

Helping people solve complex tax issues, that will make a difference in their life

Stephanie’s Answer

I would say that the people are what make my job in consulting fulfilling. The day-to-day tasks change, but having good people around me is the constant.

Stephanie recommends the following next steps:

• Make sure when you're interviewing somewhere that you get to talk with as many people as possible.

Victoria’s Answer

The most fulfilling aspect of my job is knowing that I made a difference for my clients!

Tyler’s Answer

Hello Mireia!

Through each of these services we are providing the solution to an important problem our clients face. This has been the cornerstone of my experience with PwC, every day I try understand and apply that mindset to the assigned work. It really helps to take a step back from the smaller tasks to understand holistically what we are working towards for a client, and what a successful engagement means to them. At the end of an assigned task or engagement, I'm able to take that mindset and appreciate that I just played a key role in helping our clients achieve various goals which is a great feeling.

Carla’s Answer

Updated Indianapolis, Indiana

The most fulfilling aspect of my job is working with my clients and my team members to help solve their problems or achieve a goal.

I do like to think of my job's impact not just in the direct impact of my day-to-day tasks, but more broadly in the opportunities it affords me to have an impact on my local and global communities. Specifically, my firm allows me time to volunteer for organizations that are important to me and encourages me to get involved in my local community. My firm is also dedicated to making an impact from a corporate responsibility perspective and takes a lead in addressing social issues like women's advancement, diversity and inclusion, and the like. Additionally, because of the financial security that my career provides me, I am also able to contribute financially directly to causes that are important to me.

Erica’s Answer

Updated San Jose, California

Hi Alexandra,

First I want to say that the most fulfilling aspect of a job in general depends on what that individual cherishes most in life. For me it was the ability to have a life outside of work. I was once told that a job should not be your life but should be more of a joy that you look forward to doing....like a hobby that you get to do every day. For myself, it is the people I work with and the fact that I can be challenged in my job every single day.

I am currently a manager at a Public Accounting Firm and I have always tried to ensure that this job was something I enjoyed and not a "job" per say. In short, find out what fulfills you in life, in general and incorporate your job in the field into that life not the other way around.

I hope this helps!

Good luck

Dan’s Answer

The most fulfilling aspect of my job in the field in auditing is seeing the end result. It might take a lot of time and effort to get there but once done, you are able to look back on a job well done. The client will be happy and so will the team!