What kind of experience are photography magazines looking for?

2

I know what I want to do specifically but I am not sure what I will need for my future after college and beyond a degree. Are there any characteristics that business's are looking for? Do I need to have multiple connections in order to get a foot in the door? #futurejob #experience #nationalgeo #photojournalism #photography #art

Each magazine may be different in terms of what its looking for depending upon its target audience. Your first step should be to read in depth any magazine(s) that you wish to work for. Who are they trying to reach in terms of age, gender, geographic distribution, etc. What style of photography is featured? Who advertises with them? Why do You want to work for THAT magazine? Once you have chosen one or more mags start submitting contributions, determine who key players such as the editors may be. Does the mag allow for comments on its work? If so, try commenting on a regular basis. Bob Barford
2

1

Hello Ciara,

It would seem you are referring to editorial photography where you are producing images for various magazines either as a staff photographer or freelancer. The easy answer is editors are looking for published images that you have produced for your clients. Your website, or digital portfolio, should contain solid images that have a central theme to them. National Geographic is the prime example. The photographs are illustrations that help explain the written story. To get started, assign yourself assignments that require a series of photographs that explain the story you are telling. I suggest you look at the work of established editorial photographers to get a feel for their use of light and composition.

I wish you all the best in your journey.

1