What are the things you can do with a public health major?

2

Are there any jobs that you can obtain after 4 years of undergraduate of public health, or will I have to go to school for a longer time. #publichealth #collegelife #college #degree #lost

2

Ria’s Answer

2

Public health is a great field to be in! Right out of college, you may want to consider entry-level research or data analyst positions at various companies. I do not have experience in the field myself, but I do have a friend who got a entry-level data analyst position in the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Here is another article that may address your question more directly - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140731114012-1181952-how-to-seek-out-a-public-health-career-without-experience/. There are usually plenty of great jobs available for those with bachelors + work experience in a field, but a masters (or graduate degree) will definitely help you advance professionally. I have found that is often helpful to "stalk" people on LinkedIn that have positions you would like to hold to see what types of experience and education they have!

2

Ann Marie’s Answer

1

What an exciting field! I have a very good friend who majored in Public Health and she's had a very interesting career. She began as a community health educator for a local health department and then moved to a health clinic's education department where she specialized in providing education programs to teens. She left to take a job at a university in Philadelphia, then West Virginia and now in Vermont, all the time working in the Residence Life and Health departments of those universities. She is responsible for investigating problems/issues, creating workshops and educational events, bringing in speakers and counseling students. She has thoroughly enjoyed working in campus life.

I hope this helps you as you begin to explore the many paths you can take in Public Health. Good luck!

1