How do I become a software engineer?

Updated Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

Daniel’s Answer

Updated Seattle, Washington

Primary way to do this is through a Computer Science degree at university (bachelor, master, etc). It'll require background in math, good foundation in thinking logically, and the ability to program.

Kevin’s Answer

Updated San Francisco, California

There are actually ways to become a software engineer outside of the traditional process of getting a computer science degree --> work at a software engineering internship --> get a job after graduation.

In my case, I was a teacher before I became a software engineer. I was lucky enough to join an early-stage startup where I could teach myself how to code and learn on the job under a mentor. However, my case is usually pretty rare.

If you decide to become a software engineer after already having graduated or already working in a different field, a very popular option is to enroll in a coding "bootcamp" to get that foot in the door. A bootcamp is a very condensed crash course in the basics of software engineering to get you ready for an industry job.

Lev’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Apart from the traditional route via a computer science degree, you can:

• start learning to code now
  • share the projects you build
  • help people around you with software development needs: businesses, artists, non-profits, and many other kinds of organizations could use your skills
  • you now have experience writing software and applying it in the world and can be hired as a professional software engineer

Bhabani’s Answer

Updated Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

1)Earn a degree in computer science or a related field.Begin programming i.ePython, C,C++, Java

2)Study data structures and algorithms.

3)Seek an internship.

4)Find job opportunities.