What degree would be more beneficial to me? Construction science or construction management?

Updated Kilgore, Texas

I am female, interested in a career in the construction industry and looking to attend either Texas A&M or University of Texas at Tyler. I believe I am more interested in residential building than the industrial aspects. Which degree would be more beneficial to me?
#construction #construction-management

Darren’s Answer

Updated Oakland, California

Shelby,

I'm a civil engineer (10 years experience) but have worked with construction folks in the past when they build my projects.

A construction management job involves more construction plan reading, delegation, scheduling, budgeting, etc - essentially your job is to make sure the job gets done on time and on budget and coordinating the necessary resources to accomplish these goals.

A construction science job deals more with the actual design and construction of projects - you're looking at the finer details of a job.

Regardless of which major you choose, the bulk of your construction career learning will take place on the job through doing actual work and training. My guess is that these 2 majors have similar classes. You can always transition to management during your career, if your supervisor thinks you are qualified.

Darren recommends the following next steps:

• Compare the classes of each major to see what material appeals to you more

Basil’s Answer

Updated Palatine, Illinois

That would depend on your interest. As a construction scientist you would be more then likely involved in research and study of the construction techniques and there benefits or lack of benefits to the process. As construction manager you would be more likely to be involved in the day to day construction activities. I would suggest you take basic introduction classes and see which peaks your interest more. Or try to do a summer internship with the respective companies. As for residential vainglorious industrial construction there are differences in application of knowledge but both use the same basic principles just sometimes on s larger scale.