How much does a major in the air force make?

Asked Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I'm a CareerVillage staff member and I'm posting this because we know that many young people are looking for the answer to this question. This is among the most popular questions searched by youth, and we're hoping you will take a moment to share your response to it. Thank you! #salary #pay #military #air-force #major #servicemen

Things you can consider for this specific question...

What is the average salary for majors in the air force?
What factors affect a serviceman/woman's pay?
If you are/have been in the air force, how was your salary determined?

Rebecca’s Answer

Hi Alexandra. Pay is a very important question. I have included a link for the pay scale of all Air Force ranks. I am a retired Master Sergeant (E7) so Enlisted and Officer pay differences quite a bit.

Any particular Air Force job you are interested in ? I loved my 20 years in the Air Force, if I had to do it over, I would do it again. https://www.federalpay.org/military/air-force/ranks

Rebecca recommends the following next steps:

• Review Air Force Career field and see what peaks your interests. https://www.airforce.com/careers/browse-careers/

Thomas’s Answer

Updated Orlando, Florida

This is not a question that can be answered directly. There are a few items that have to be taken into consideration to determine how much a major in the air force makes.

-Time in Grade (RANK...ie. Second Lieutenant, Captain, Colonel, etc. )

-There is a specific amount of time you have to spend in each rank before you can be promoted to the next.

-Time in Service

-This is the time you have served in the military

-Needs of the Branch

-Promotions are not just given, they are earned

-Some of the higher positions of the Enlisted/Officer Ranks are limited and require an opening for promotion so it can be filled

A basic search and understanding of the rank structure of the military will give you the information you are seeking. Current pay scales can be found online for military service.