How long does it take to find your ideal job? (if you've found one)

Asked Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

#jobs #job-search #human-resource #undergraduate #students-problem #advice #mentoring #job-coaching

Pursuing a rewarding career seems to take forever through trials and error.
How long does it take to figure out what's the best fit for you?

Thanks in advance!

Karen’s Answer

Updated Saint Paul, Minnesota

Actually I have found many ideal jobs!  I think the reason for this is to remain open and flexible in trying new things which also can be very rewarding.  I'd suggest starting in a position that sounds interesting to you.  Keep in mind that all jobs have pros and cons.  By knowing what your priorities are (flexible hours, work that impacts others, salary, benefits, etc.) you can focus on the fact that you're in a position that allows you to address your priorities.  After giving a position enough time, preferably a year, you can try something else.  Meanwhile take advantage of volunteer opportunities which will give you insight and experience in a variety of fields.

When I retired, I took on volunteer positions for quite a variety of organizations which I had never experienced before including assisting at a kindergarten, program for refugees, mentor to a woman in prison, food server to the homeless and write articles for several nonprofits.  I feel like once again I am in an ideal job!

Thank you for sharing!

Liann’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida

Hi, this is a great question. For most of us when it comes to work, we will spend the majority of our time doing whatever job we choose, so it is important to find a career that you love.

What I have discovered is that the "ideal job" can be something totally unexpected, by looking at how you view the "ideal job" from a different angle. For example, I work in HR, but within that I actually work on a team that does project management work. For me this means, I try to bring in new technology and processes to help my team work better and faster. My work helps these people, and I love helping people! Further, I like to be creative which I wouldn't have thought would be a big part of HR, but I am designing what a new process will look like, creating slideshows, etc. all the time and that allow me to show off my creative side! Then I get to train people on these new processes I helped create, and I really like training people because again it means I am helping them get work done faster or better! Another BIG piece of the "ideal job" puzzle for me, was realizing just HOW important the PEOPLE I work with are. Do I love all of the actual little tasks I have to complete? Not always, but when I feel like I am surrounded by coworkers I get along with and management that truly wants to help me learn and grow as a person, that is the best job/career I could ask for, because I have to spend SO MUCH time with them. I hope this helps!

Liann recommends the following next steps:

• Try asking people you know who are in a career already what they love about it, not just the actual work itself, but the environment of the industry, company, etc.
Liann, Thank you so much for your detailed response! I'm glad you've found a career you enjoy!

Jena’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida

Hey Cindy,

It took me a few years to find my ideal job. I went to school to pursue a medical career, but worked in HR in immigration to help pay for school and fell in love with it. I would have never thought this is where I would end up so I would suggest keeping an open mind and try to experience a few internships or jobs while in school. Evaluate the job traits that most interest you: do you like to be on your feet all day, do you like fast moving jobs, do you like constantly learning new things, do you like stability? Once you can answer these questions try to find a job that will match it. I use to think of HR as boring and stagnant, but after researching it and working in a few parts of HR, I know this is not the case. I need a very fast pace job that requires me to constantly learn, and I found this in immigration.