Is advertising a good major?

Asked Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Things you can consider for this specific question...

Are there many job opportunities in advertising?
Is there a lot of room for growth in the field of advertising?
If you majored in advertising, are you happy with your choice of major?

I'm a CareerVillage staff member and I'm posting this because we know that many young people are looking for the answer to this question. This is among the most popular questions searched by youth, and we're hoping you will take a moment to share your response to it. Thank you! #advertising #marketing #communications #business #design

Zainab’s Answer

Updated El Segundo, California

Hi, I majored in Advertising as an undergrad and got a master's as well in Marketing Communications and Advertising. It was definitely a great major for me. After graduation, I did find a job in NY at an ad agency and spent the next 5 years of my career there, It was great start because I got to work with many different types of companies and clients and it led me to my next corporate job. Under advertising you can go into many specialties such as Media planning (if you like numbers), creative (if you like to write or draw or are more inclined towards the arts), you can be an account manager if you like a more management role, you can go into production if you like technology. There are many genres to pursue with an advertising degree and it does bleed well into the larger world of marketing as well.

Zainab recommends the following next steps:

• You should research some of the top ad agencies in the world or in the US
  • Figure out if any of the genres of advertising appeal to you and what you might like to specialize in
  • Research some colleges that have a good advertising program.

Tiffany’s Answer

Updated San Jose, California

Advertising is a fun industry that allows you to work with different companies/brands if you find a role at an agency, or different vendors if you work on the client side. I worked at two advertising agencies in San Francisco after I obtained my undergraduate degree in Communications. I suggest doing a double major in Communications, Marketing, Business, and Psychology. Or major in one of these broader subject and then pursue a career in advertising.

Scott’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas

I'm not sure "Advertising" is a Major. Marketing is a major that deals with the price, placement, promotion and product (THE MARKETING MIX https://www.4psofmarketing.com/). Advertising is a form of "promotion."

The series "Mad Men" is based on an advertising agency set in New York, NY during the 50's-60's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Men

I would guess that Marketing would be a "good major" for anyone interested in advertising, and that those who seek internships at advertising firms would have the best probability of finding a "good" job with that major.

Scott recommends the following next steps:

• Google "Advertising firms top 10
Advertising is a major. It was my major at The Pennsylvania State University (Penn State). Marketing was in the Business college (along with Accounting, Economics, etc.) and Advertising was out of the College of Communications with other major options such as Public Relations, Media Studies, Journalism, Film, etc. I am currently employed as a marketing professional. My first job was at an advertising agency in NYC. I only recommend an Advertising major if you plan to work at an agency. Keep in mind agency life is brutal with a large lack of work-life balance. You can get great experience and increase your salary quickly, it's just a very fast paced environment. If I could do it again I might major in something more broad like Communications.

Madison’s Answer

As a marketing major myself, I found a large portion of study to be related to fields of promotional selling and branding. I was very happy with my major as it encouraged creativity and structure simultaneously.