Considering all the people you've met in your field, what personal attributes are essential for success in the Advertising and Promotions field?
#advertising #marketing #communications #business
Professionalism, attention to detail, listening skills, ability to get along with all types of personalities including creative egos, learning all you can about the product(s), figuring out who key players are and getting to know them and vice versa, accepting with positivity any task you are given at the beginning of your career, even if small and meaningless in your mind. Enjoyment of meeting new people including clients.
Advertising/Marketing is a very competitive industry. In my experience, the most crucial personal attribute(s) to have for success in this industry are determination and perseverance.
Hope this helps.
I've been an account manager for almost 15 years now and I believe that the most important trait is the ability to manage different personalities. The importance of relationships in business, not just marketing, cannot be overlooked. When it comes to your own work, I would agree with James. It is so important to persevere despite whatever set backs and hardships you may encounter throughout your career.
Great question! In advertising, problem solving is extremely important. As a marketer, you are always looking to solve a problem with a creative solution. Problem solving comes in many shapes. Solving for what a consumer/business needs, appeasing senior leaders, adapting the creative for legal, the list goes on. In my experience, the most successful leaders "creatively" problem-solve!
Lisa Bond’s Answer
1. Being a problem solver, which is the essence of the work you're doing in Marketing.
2. Empathy - understanding other people's perspectives, which may not be your own.
3. Creative - recognizing there are multiple ways to solve a problem.
4. Strategic thinker - It's your ability to think conceptually, imaginatively, systematically, and opportunistically with regard to achieving a goal. Strategic thinking is important because you need to be able to create a clear set of plans, goals and new ideas in Marketing.
5. Relationship building - You have to be able to get along with people and know how to work together to achieve a goal.
Hi Olivia, regardless of the field, remember half of the game is just by showing up often and early. One can't just sit back and expect to win with Hail Marys or 1/2 court 3-pointers. Make an effort to be there, contribute, and not hogging all the credits.
• Passion – being in an industry or doing something you love allows you to “never work a day in your life”. Life is short – make the most out of how you spend your time.
• Perseverance – the reality is that things in life and in your career will not go the way you planned it. The ability to work through challenges, having the courage to push through adversity is critical throughout your career.
• Humility – and treating everyone with respect. No matter what your title is, how many people report to you or what your annual budget is, never lose sight of the fact that does not make you VIP of the world. People will remember how you treated them. You never know who is part of the decision making process. (When I am interviewing for an open position, I will get feedback from the driver, security guard, assistants, anyone in the frontline who interact with a candidate)
• Multifaceted – have the flexibility to appreciate different perspectives, data and subjects as you may not share the same background, culture or experiences as your target customer or audience. Just because it makes sense to you doesn’t make it the right choice.