WHat are some tips to become an event planner?

Asked Hanover, Maryland

I want to become an event planner and eventually own my own business. I am majoring in public relations and I would like to know if there are any specific routes I should take to reach my goals. #event-planning #public-relations #business

Len’s Answer

Updated Cedar Grove, New Jersey
Build your network on LinkedIn and start connecting with influencers in the hospitality industry. Attend networking events with some of the major hotel chains re: hospitality and connect with large event marketing firms to see if they have internships.

Lory’s Answer

Find a Non profit in your local area who holds events and attend an upcoming event. Once your there, watch those in action volunteering to get a feel for what its like to actually work through the entire process.

Its a wonderful experience to see volunteers in action as the communication is more transparent with Non profit organizations. Once you've seen the process in action, introduce yourself to those that "Event Plan", ask questions!! Non profits are always looking for help and its a great way to get experience.

Most colleges also have Majors designed specifically towards Hospitality & Event Management. Set time with your Guidance Counselor to have a conversation about a College near you that may have the courses that would be the best fit. Best of Luck!!!