4
Asked 621 views

WHat are some tips to become an event planner?

I want to become an event planner and eventually own my own business. I am majoring in public relations and I would like to know if there are any specific routes I should take to reach my goals. #event-planning #public-relations #business

4

1

Len’s Answer

Build your network on LinkedIn and start connecting with influencers in the hospitality industry. Attend networking events with some of the major hotel chains re: hospitality and connect with large event marketing firms to see if they have internships.
1
0

Lory’s Answer

Find a Non profit in your local area who holds events and attend an upcoming event. Once your there, watch those in action volunteering to get a feel for what its like to actually work through the entire process.

Its a wonderful experience to see volunteers in action as the communication is more transparent with Non profit organizations. Once you've seen the process in action, introduce yourself to those that "Event Plan", ask questions!! Non profits are always looking for help and its a great way to get experience.

Most colleges also have Majors designed specifically towards Hospitality & Event Management. Set time with your Guidance Counselor to have a conversation about a College near you that may have the courses that would be the best fit. Best of Luck!!!

0
0

C’s Answer

Event Management is growing and a well sought after skill.
Lots of companies offer volunteering positions in event management and it is a great way to get your foot in the door and develop your skills in this area, even though it is not paid.
Look at developing your skills in budget management, planning and organisation. Also creativity and problem solving.
Do your research and reach out to companies to provide your services, forward through your CV, reach out on LinkedIn and outline your willingness to learn.
It is a fast paced and role with long unsocial hours. Clients can be very demanding. It can also be very stressful. Get some work experience in the industry first and go from there! Good luck.
0
0

Jon’s Answer

The best advice I can give you if getting into events is to volunteer your time at other events and get to know as many people as you can. Before starting your own business it’s imperative that you build credibility and trust in the marketplace. Remember the events are the highest priority for those that are hosting them so an event planner must be trusted by the host, and to build trust you need to have a proven track record. There are no shortcuts. Real world experience comes with long hours and short pay, but it’s the only way to gain the experience necessary to be able to deliver for your customers.
0
0

Glenda’s Answer

Summer job in party hire or event mgt company as practical experience is a must.
0