what degrees does a computer programmer need and why

Hi,
I am in 6th grade and I was deciding that I was going to do Computer Programming so I wanted to know what degree I need. #computer-science #computer-programming #computer-engineer

Eric’s Answer

The standard degree is "Computer Science," which is offered at most colleges. A Bachelors of Science (B.S.), a four-year degree, is usually enough, though some people go further and get as Masters or even a Ph.D.

The standard name for the job is a "Software Engineer," though there are other names for programming jobs.

There are sometimes Computer Science classes late in high school, which can help prepare you.

There are other paths of course, but this is a very good start.

Finally, you can start to learn some right now! Using a website like codeacademy.com, you can start to practice programming even now. I started writing simple games when I was around 6th grade, and gradually wrote more and more complicated ones up through college, which really helped me get my degree and then my job.

Thank you for your answer and what does codeacademy.com have to offer
codeacademy is a website with lessons on a lot of programming languages and related skills. It might be the kind of thing you'd benefit from now, or in a few years, or even in college, but at any point might help you learn more than your school is teaching you. Check it out, try, say, the lessons on HTML & CSS, and on Python, and see if they're useful for you. If not, don't worry about it, as there really is no rush.