How can I obtain shadowing opportunities for the medical field?

I want to be a doctor and need shadowing opportunities of various fields. #pre-med #doctor #medical #medicine #doctor #healthcare #hospital-and-healthcare #med-school

P’s Answer

Hi Christopher, there are a number of ways to secure shadowing opportunities:

Family friends/connections

If you have any family friends in medicine (physician, nurse, PT, hospital administration) they will probably know a doctor. Leverage that relationship. They'll likely be happy to support you if you're serious about pursuing a shadowing opportunity.

Reach out to a nearby hospital's volunteer department

Many large hospitals have a volunteer department that need constant help. Send a thoughtful email or call them asking for opportunities to help out. These relationships may lead to shadowing opportunities. Personal experience - I was a volunteer at Grady Hospital in Atlanta back in the day. I saw a ton of great procedures in the ER and made connections with some of the residents and attendings.

Cold email/call doctors

Some doctors will appreciate the hustle. Offer to take them out for coffee or breakfast. They'll end up paying for you, but it's the effort you're willing to put forth that will impress them.