Should I study data science at university?

Asked Houston, Texas

I am a generalist who is good with numbers and words. I am not sure if I should pursue an economics and politics degree or do data science instead as it is more practical and there's a higher chance that I could get a job at the end of it. #careeradvice # #first-job #job-search

Danielle’s Answer

Hi Ben,

It's good you're considering the application of your major, how general/specialized it is in order to secure jobs.

If you're not in college yet: research schools with those programs, see which ones sound like a good fit for you.

If you're at college: Go talk to advisors in those departments/majors. You can see if they have any post-graduation data regarding the alumni from that major, what jobs they do. That information might help you evaluate what works best as far as your interests.

Also, take a look at O*Net, it's a resource that shows what kinds of preparation is needed for specific jobs. You might find out about careers you hadn't considered/don't know about yet.

Danielle recommends the following next steps:

• O*Net: https://www.onetonline.org/