How many years of college do you need to be a Pediatric Surgeon?

Hi my name is Reilly.P i'm in 8th grade and I go to Pikeville High school and I know i'm young but i really want to be Pediatric Surgeon I am currently attending the Verizion innovating Learning STEM camp. #pediatric-surgeon #pediatrics #surgery #surgeon #medicine #doctor #healthcare #hospital-and-healthcare #med-school

Great question Reilly!! Chloe O.

That is really cool! Christina A.

I'm so proud Reilly! Christina A.

What college do you want to go to? Rachel B.

7

Pediatric surgery is a great field requiring a medical doctorate. This means that you will have to complete college with a bachelor’s degree as well as all of the Pre-med requirements (1 year biology, 1 year inorganic chemistry, 1 year organic chemistry + labs, physics, calculus, and biochemistry). GPA should probably be 3.5 or better (preferably >3.8). You will also have to score well on the MCAT. Once accepted to medical school, as long as you pass your classes and perform reasonably well during your four years of medical training, you can apply for a general surgery 5 year residency. Following that, you will likely apply for a 3 year pediatric surgery fellowship.

0

To apply to medical school, you need a bachelor's degree which takes between three and five years depending on the major. Then four years of medical school. After that several years of training in general surgery residency before you can choose a pediatric surgery Fellowship

0