Is it smart to major and minor or just focus on a major?

Is it a good idea to both major and minor or is it better to just focus on your major? # #majors-and-minors #co #college-major #choosing-a-major #major

2

Matthew’s Answer

Having a major and minor can be a great way to diversify yourself. I would say it depends on what you want to do. I would advise talking to a college advisor to make sure. It will require more class time as some degrees don't have the same electives. This will delay your graduation time. Also I would look to internships as a great way to get into the job your looking for. Some companies will even pay your tuition.

1

Linda’s Answer

Mia, I agree with everything Matthew has said. I would add one comment. I taught at a small, private, liberal arts university. Our mission was to have students major in one subject to receive more in-depth knowledge, but then we stressed the idea to be broadly educated and take courses in many different areas (e.g. philosophy, music, studio art, international relations). Of course, many students did minor, but we did not consider it a necessity. If you attend a larger university, the thinking may be different.

0