If I score high enough on an AP test to skip a college class, should I?

If my AP Literature score comes back as a 5, then I can skip English 1101. This could be bad considering it will be a transition into college literature class. #high-school-classes

Yes, you definitely should! Or, take the class and don't pay for the dual credit. Sarah S.

3

Derek’s Answer

Hey Zachary,

I think it probably depends on what you want to study. You make a good point that if you're majoring in English, then you may not want to skip the foundational class or you may want the refresher. However, I experienced two scenarios when it did make sense to use the AP credit:

1. If you decide to major in something different from the AP course - I took AP classes in history in high school and majored in math in college. I was very happy to get credit for my major's general requirements and not have to spend any more time in history lectures :)
  2. If you do well on the AP test (good luck!) and want to get into the more advanced material - once you have your score and know what school you're going to, you can look up the syllabi for the foundational and the advanced courses and see if you think you know the topics in the foundational course well enough.

Derek recommends the following next steps:

Look up the syllabus for English 1101 to see if you think you know the topics there well enough based on your AP course

0

Estelle’s Answer

I agree with Rachel and Derek. Unless it's specific to your degree path, and you don't feel knowledgable enough about the subject, definitely take the AP credit! You will save time and money. you will open your schedule for other classes. Go for it!

0

Shay’s Answer

I would definitely skip the college course since you already have credit for it. This way, you can take more advanced classes within your major or other classes of interest instead of spending time on prerequisites. After all, you are paying for a degree and it doesn't make sense to take a class if you don't have to.

0

Shay’s Answer

0

I agree with Derek. If you are planning on majoring in something different from that AP class, then definitely take the credit! I would always take the AP lit credit.

That being said, if I tested out of the first semester of chemistry, I would be very hesitant to start college in chemistry 2. I would be especially nervous if I were pre-med , and I needed an A in every class.

0

Blake’s Answer

Hey Zach,

Absolutely! It will save you money and time.

Thanks,
Blake

0