3

Does the high school you go to matters to colleges?

For example, does a student applying from the best high school in the state he or she lives in has a higher chance of being admitted into the college she/he wants than a student that comes from a normal high school (a school with no rankings)? #high-school #high-school-students #school #student #college #admissions

Thank you comment icon I asked this question because transferring high schools is something I’m considering to do. This fall I will be a senior at high schools and I’m unsure about transfering. I will be transfering to the best school in the state if I do, which offers more opportunities academically and extracurriculars as well and going there is something I would like to do. However, at my current school I’m the #1 in my graduating class with a 4.0 GPA. If I transfer high schools will it affect my class rank and my GPA? Will my chances of getting into highly competitive colleges will be hurt because I transferred? How much do colleges care about high school transfers? What should I do, transfer or stay? Julia

3

1

Dana’s Answer

Hi Julia!

Not one bit :) When apply to a graduate program, usually the undergraduate program is considered but when applying to undergraduate the high school usually is not considered. I believe GPA, ACT/SAT scores and extra curricular activities are considered.

Dana

1
0

Meighan’s Answer

Julia,

While I agree with most of the points other commenters made, there are a few exceptions on when you may want to transfer high schools to boost your admissions chances. In general, high school performance including grades, class ranks, class section, extracurriculars, and test scores is the most important factor to gaining college admission no matter what school you are at.

However, if you are in a district where you could either go to a standard high school OR a charter, IB, or technical high school, you may want to considering transferring to the school that most aligns with your educational goals. For example, if you are STEM oriented and considering a technical or engineering degree and there is a local STEM high school that offers engineering elective tracks, that may be a better fit for you than your current high school.

If your goal is to double major in college or have flexibility in your degree plan to pursue study abroad opportunities, a high school that offers Dual Enrollment or IB curriculum that allows you to validate college credits may make more sense.

The bottom line-if switching high schools is realistic option, it may make sense to transfer to one that best supports your educational goals.

-Meighan

Meighan recommends the following next steps:

Talk over your goals with your school's Guidance Counselor
0
0

Paul’s Answer

No, it does not. At the end of the day what matters most are your SAT score, GPA and maybe your class ranking. In other words, focus on your school work and you'll be just fine. You'll get accepted into the schools you want AND receive scholarship money.

0
0

Aditi’s Answer

Julia,
Where you go to high school doesn't matter to colleges! But, what does matter is what you made of your high school experience, so they will look at things like your GPA, SAT/ACT scores, extra curriculars, and possibly class rank. Your high school experience is what you make of it, so focus on working as hard as you can and getting as involved as you can and you will do great!
0