Tips on staying focused in School

Asked Atlanta, Georgia

Gary’s Answer

I had a difficult time staying focused until I heard of the Pomodoro Technique which breaks your day down into chunks of time and uses a timer to keep you on task. If you are looking at an essay that is going to take 4 hours to write, it is difficult to a) find a chunk of time that big and b) stay focused for that long. Using the Pomodoro Technique, you maybe break it down into 8 thirty minute blocks of time. Maybe that would be 30 minutes before school Monday-Thursday and 30 minutes Tue, Wed, Thurs, and Sunday night. You would be prepared at the start of the period. You then set a timer and you work without interruption until the timer goes off. No looking at your phone, no text messages, no Facebook for thirty minutes. When the time goes off, you put the project away until the next scheduled time.

What I often find is that after 30 minutes, I am still ready to keep working on that. So, I will set a timer for 5 minutes, look at my phone, check emails, take a quick walk. After the 5-minute break, I will then set a timer a continue.

Gary recommends the following next steps:

• Take a look at the website https://francescocirillo.com/pages/pomodoro-technique to see if it makes sense for you
  • If you think it has merit, try it for a week and see.