What degree do I need to pursue Radiology?

Updated Asheboro, North Carolina

Hi!

I'm currently a freshman in high school, and I care a lot about my future and especially my academics. I plan on doing early college for an associates and my dream school is UCLA. After I graduate from UCLA I hope to go back to my home state to attend UNC School of Medicine. My question is, what degree specifically do I need to have to go into the radiology field for medical school? Some schools I've looked at do not offer radiology as a major, but their med schools do. If I were to major in nursing or some med field related major instead, would I still be able to go into medical school for radiology specifically? #medicine #doctor #college #medical #college-major #radiology #premed

LaRita’s Answer

To start you need fantastic grades in Math and Science. Ace your college entrance exams (SAT, ACE, Etc). In school, start your Bachelors focused on the pre-med track. You'll apply for medical schools upon you finishing your Bachelors. Once medical school is complete you would need to complete a residency in radiology.

Sanaz’s Answer

My word of advice to you would be to study whatever interests you in undergrad but one that you know you will be able to get the grades to get into medical school. Biology is a common route because it covers most of the pre reqs you need for getting into medical school. Then in your undergrad find a radiologist that you could shadow to gain some experience in. Then in medical school cater your electives in your 3rd and 4th year to radiology. But focus on getting the grades and the scores now to prepare you for it later :)

Jaclyn’s Answer

To be a radiologist you need to get a Bachelors degree, go to medical school for 4 years to get your MD and then complete a 4 year residency (in addition to an intern year). I’m sure there are other pathways if you want to be a radiology tech, etc.