how many years would I have to stay in college and what degrees would i have to get in order to become a surgeon?

How long would I have to stay in school? If I wanted to go to community college is there some that may help me pursue my dream of being a surgeon? What degrees would I need to become a surgeon? What is some advice I could get? #doctor #healthcare #medical #surgery #college #medicine

Angelica’s Answer

The answer to this question begins with where you would like to ultimately be in your career. Since you know that you would like to be a surgeon, I would encourage you to meet and engage with a mentor who is a surgeon. Ask him or her how they began their career, follow their example but make changes to meet your goals.

All schools and paths are different. So the best advice that I can encourage is to find an area in the field that you would like to concentrate on and a medical college that will help you to reach your goals. Find out the requirements for admittance and you will know where to begin. However, most students start with a science degree, go on to a medical college for their medical degree and concentration of surgical science. The amount of years it will take will depend on your career goals, your college and medical school choices.

I hope these words encourage you!

Angelica recommends the following next steps:

• Find a mentor who is a surgeon.
  • Make a list of colleges and medical schools you would like to attend to reach your goals and then apply.

Eric’s Answer

I would think at least 8 years.

Medical School is where you complete the degree work to become a doctor, the residency portion is where you decide what type of doctor you want to be an specialize in that. The pre-requisite for medical school is any undergraduage degree. Some lean towards biology, chemistry or health sciences - but any will do. It's the MCAT that gets you end.

The first 4 steps as I understand them:

Step 1: Earn a Bachelor's Degree. ...

Step 2: Take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) ...

Step 3: Earn a Medical Degree. ...

Step 4: Complete a Residency Program. ...

Felicia G’s Answer

Updated Washington

Hi Candy! I would suggest talking to your school counselor so that can give you direction on who to talk to at the college level.

Felicia G recommends the following next steps:

• Make an appointment with your school counselor
  • Contact an advisor at the the Community College