What is a day like in the computer networking field?

Asked Limestone, Maine

Carol’s Answer

Updated Alpharetta, Georgia

Izabella;

Hi

I have recruited for professionals with computer networking experience but I have not done the job. As you may be aware, <span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: white;">network engineers and network or systems administrators, install, configure and maintain local area networks, wide area networks and Internet systems that enable businesses to connect with employees and customers. </span>They <span style="color: black; background-color: rgb(239, 239, 239);">perform general system maintenance</span>, deal with system failures, apply software updates and fixes, to attending to network related PC support issues.

There are different roles working on this side of technology from administering/supporting the network, to building all the servers in the network to now even automating the building of the servers. There are servers that are housed on the client site as well as servers that are what’s called off premise or in the cloud. I have found that the best way to find out about any career is to go online and ask.

https://work.chron.com › Careers › Engineering Jobs

As far as a day in the life of a Network Engineer, I went on Google and asked if there are You tube Videos. This is what I have found so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_CubB8lPJ0

<span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34);"> </span>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7PLvwkT5_U

There is more information out there that will tell you what people do in certain careers, other sites that might describe a typical day in the role, jobsites with openings and job descriptions as well as salary ranges for the positions, etc. YouTube may have videos explaining the same. If you look at multiple sites, look for consistencies in what they say. This should help you feel more comfortable that the information you are reading is accurate.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach back out.

Carol

<span style="color: black;"> </span>

Carol recommends the following next steps:

• Feel free to reach back out.

Sri Athithya Kruth’s Answer

Updated Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

Hello there,

Depending on your role in the company, you would be doing a variety of things on a regular work day:

• If you work in design and deployment, you would be looking at a lot of customer communication, network requirement gathering, and then designing an effective network based on the requirements gathering. This role would need broad domain knowledge, as well as critical and design thinking. These skills would enable you to create a good design that would satisfy customer requirements.
  • If you were working in services, then you would be taking calls from customers who'd be working on fixing a problem in their deployments. Such a role would require deep knowledge of a few topics depending on the team you are in.
  • If you work in Ops, then you would be in charge of the day-to-day operations in a network. This would include immediate work in case any issues crop up, and also collaborate with a variety of vendors (depending on your deployment) to solve these issues. You would also have to handle any additions to the existing deployment.

I hope this was useful to you. In general, networking roles mean meetings, discussion and collaboration, with plenty of technical knowledge applied to troubleshooting, design and deployment.

Brad’s Answer

Hi Izabella, I have 20+ years of experience in IT, started as a desktop technician and worked my way up to a Global Systems Architect. Computers and Networking are two different technologies. In a small organization you might be responsible for both, in a larger organization, you would specialize in one or the other, with many more specialized layers in either technology! A day in the life of either is Dynamic. You will be expected quickly respond to issues, maintain and build IT infrastructure (PC's or Network devices) on a constant basis, LEARN new technologies almost constantly and sometimes be on-call for issues during nights and weekends depending on the role. IT is critical to most mid to large companies business operations, but you are expected to keep things running without necessarily receiving a lot of accolades. You MUST love the work to get into the field and be a truly top-tier performer. Running Systems or Networks is complex and demanding. Every day brings new opportunities to learn and new challenges. Constant training will be the norm as long as you stay in the field. Think of it like being a nurse or doctor who has to constantly re-qualify in order to stay relevant. There are management and senior management careers that can lead out of these roles as well as sales opportunities. Good luck in your career.

Lorraine’s Answer

Updated Edison, New Jersey

I am have worked in the Information Technology field in various positions. I was never Network Administrator. However, I did study this and worked with Network Administrators. If you were to be come a Network Administrator, you would be responsible for keeping the company network up and running 24/7. Example, you would have a cell phone and laptop so you could monitor software to ensure the network is always up and running. This job requires a proactive approach. You would be heavily relied on.

Amol’s Answer

Updated Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

Hi , it depends on your profile.I am having 10 years of experience in Networking field.so if you are in operation support profile then it might be busy day for you in the networking field and that is also depending on the issues that is coming day by day.If you are in Project ,Design or implementation team

then the work varies as per project stage but in any of the profile in the computer networking field you will learn the new technologies and you will enjoy it.