Is it fun to be a Lawyer?

Asked Quincy, Massachusetts

Jane’s Answer

Updated Dublin, County Dublin

In a word- yes! There are many areas in law within which to practice so it is fun if you choose an area that you are passionate about. I am fortunate that the area that I am currently in is one which greatly interests me and my previous area was also one that I loved. You get to hear the facts of a given case/ issue and then formulate your advices based on what you research and subsequently determine is the correct approach. I find that getting to flex my mental agility is fun- and a big win is always something to celebrate :) I do have to say that a big part of being a lawyer is constantly having to "study". In other words, your educational journey is not over when you qualify. It is very important to keep up with legislative changes and continuously expand your knowledge in your chosen field. So if you want to be a lawyer you should be someone who enjoys this and does not think the hard work is over when you pass the bar exam. That said, if you are specialising in an area you enjoy, all of this will be second nature anyway. I would certainly recommend being a lawyer but definitely do your homework about the different fields which may interest you and reach out to people in those fields to get their perspective- lawyers are generally helpful as they have all been in your shoes at one point- good luck!

Fatima’s Answer

It is fun to be a lawyer if you like to spend a lot of time learning about client problems and how to solve them. For example, as a lawyer, clients come to me with new initiatives. I have to research and learn about the initiative and law and determine how it applies to my clients' situations. My advice allows them to move forward with creating something new that is within legal bounds. If you like constantly learning and spending your time helping others, then being a lawyer will be fun for you. It's most fun to practice law for an area or industry that interests you.

James’s Answer

Hello again. To answer your question, being a lawyer is quite fun, except the process leading up to becoming a lawyer. But don't give up, keep trying. Being a lawyer you get to help a lot of people no matter what type of lawyer you are.