Things is I like most about my career (I am a scientist that studies urban ecology, entomology, and horticulture):
1. Nature is amazing! I always learn new things.
2. Urban ecology is understudied, and so important in today's urbanized world. I like that urban ecology is interdisciplinary, and requires an understanding of history, sociology, landscape science, and ecology.
3. Teaching is fun, and I get great pleasure sharing my love of nature with students. I also do a lot of science outreach, in my position.
4. I have a lot of freedom to decide what to study.
What I don't lime:
1. I spend a lot of time answering emails, rather than doing science.
2. Budget cuts make it hard to do good science and science outreach.
3. It didn't bother me, but is important to note that it took me about 20 years (school and first jobs) until I made a good salary.
Gail recommends the following next steps:
- If you're interested in urban forestry, check out the local branch of the Intl Society for Arboriculture. They likely have events that would be free for students fo attend.