I want to be a Data Scientist

Asked Seoul, South Korea

I have Maths and French literature double degree. Learning some Python and can do it just for Pandas. Looking for an entry-level job but hard to figure out where to start because there is very few senior data scientist in the field. Almost every company want data people but they don't even know what they exactly want for them. Which kind of company could I helm me excel myself in this field? #data #datascience

Navya’s Answer

As you already said, this is a new field and has very few experienced seniors in there. However, look at it this way. If you get into this career now, 5 years down the line, you will be one of the very few people with good experience. I know its tough to find an entry level position. But if you do not have the experience, nobody will hire you for a senior position. Most companies take the effort to train its junior employees through learning and development and through support system from the team. Try to find a job and put in effort at least for an year to get comfortable with the data science job and see what else you can do from there.

Thanks Navya :)

Updated Apex, North Carolina

Agree with Navya. Find a job related to data science that will allow you to explore the field and grow your skills while also contributing to the company in some meaningful way. Sometimes these are not the top paying jobs in the short term, but will pay off for you in long term as you become more valuable. Data Analyst is a common role where you can do this.

My primary role was as a network architect, but I had interest in data science and automation, so I chose roles and projects that allowed me to explore data related to my area of expertise, where I could relate data science to something that I already knew. I could compare how I looked at data before using data science, and find new ways to look at the same data to find new value in it using algorithms I learned, read about, or wanted to explore.

Next steps are always - go try it! Consider data from your current role and think about what you COULD do with it if you were an expert data scientist. Get hands on and try some things out with open source software. I prefer python and Jupyter notebooks.

Thanks John :)