48
Updated 4386 views

Want to study Cloud Computing, don't know where to start from?

I want to study Cloud Computing and develop it as a career afterwards, but the main obstacle I come across is from where I should start, I've searched on google and quora but most of the answers are related to data science or AWS. It's very confusing as I cannot understand what I want to do in this field.
I need some serious guidance, advice, learning path or a detailed explanation of this field.
#science #aws #college #career #cloud #computing #google #software #datascience #india #technology

Thank you comment icon “Totally! Your questions are great and show a real desire to learn. It is inspiring to see someone actively searching for information and participating in lively conversations. This is an excellent opportunity to show your passion and share information. You can gain a better understanding of your world and yourself by asking questions. Curiosity is a valuable quality that will help you on your journey. https://www.sevenmentor.com/amazon-web-services-training-institute-in-pune.php https://tdedchangair.com/webboard/viewtopic.php?p=75816#p75816 mandeep Singh

48

2

Chris’s Answer

Work out what you want to do in the cloud market first. There is so much choice - engineering, sales, marketing, solution architecture, product development, finance, etc... Whatever you decide it's good to get an appreciation of how the solutions work and what benefits they can bring to their end users.

The primary cloud providers (AWS, Azure and Google) are all fighting for market share - and believe me, there is a big market to go after! They have rightly worked out that they need to invest in training and enablement to make sure that the next wave of people who will use/build on/design/etc... cloud solutions, favour their solutions over others. As such, they have invested heavily in providing free collateral/information online, which you can access. This builds up from high level/starter through to very advanced detail. You can also put this knowledge to the test via free access to the platforms that they offer.
2
2

Jacob’s Answer

Cloud covers so many bases that you might want to narrow your focus a bit. I would recommend that you take advantage of the free tier from AWS. You can test out and work with most of the features. This ought to help you decide where to focus your time and effort.

For me, I often find it difficult to get a handle on a new bit of tech if I don't actually use it for something, even if that something is a simple as a hello world app.

Thank you comment icon This is great advice. John Lockney
2
1

Devin’s Answer

Hi Archit,

As with everyone else here, I wish you the best of luck in your education and journey. Indeed, cloud computing seems to be growing ever more popular. As a Support Manager, I needed to prepare myself and my team of support engineers for dealing with cloud computing and cloud environment as well.

Our most helpful tool that we used was Linux Academy - there is a wide variety of courses and lessons available for people to take for multiple clouds platforms (not just AWS!).

The next step my team and I took was to work on our various cloud environment certifications, such as AWS Cloud certifications or Azure Cloud Certifications. Even without paying for the certification itself, the courses and tests are helpful in expanding your skill set and education.

1
1

Zahur’s Answer

Microsoft, Google and Amazon all publish a lot of articles, white papers, and exams on cloud computing. You may want to consider starting there and navigating towards what is most interesting to you in Cloud Computing. For example, Amazon's Cloud Practitioner certification process can expose you to basic Cloud Computing concepts that may allow you to decide what is most interesting to you.

1
1

Gouthamraj’s Answer

You may want to start with a free edX introductory online course on cloud computing.

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-cloud-infrastructure-technologies

Gouthamraj recommends the following next steps:

Also, do not forget to learn linux basics, as you'd have to know linux if you want to learn advanced cloud technologies. https://www.netacad.com/courses/os-it/ndg-linux-essentials
1
1

Silpa’s Answer

Hi Archit,

Imagine you have 1000 PC/Laptop/Servers in an office containing 1000s of pictures, videos etc, that you need to access on a daily basis (like Google Photos for example). Imagine hosting 1000 such hardware infrastructure. Not only will it be expensive, but also difficult to manage. And to access it you have to go to this office everyday --- not so feasible.

Now imaging you have 1 box (hypervisor) that can host 1000 such virtual servers (such as VMs) hosted on the internet, that you can access from your home/mobile phone anywhere anytime. That is cloud computing. Everything is in the cloud.

As for where to get started, I see others have provided great links. Here's another one: Even if you don't want to take the exam, the resources provided here are good https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications/associate/ccna-cloud.html.

Goodluck to you.

1
1

Adam’s Answer

Cloud computing revolutionized the world of technology, and will continue to play a central role in the creation of new products and businesses for the foreseeable future. It's a big topic, so I would first recommend that you start determining what exactly you want to do within the world of cloud computing.

For example, do you want to build applications that run "in the cloud?" Do you want to manage the cloud-based parts of a company's information technology (IT) infrastructure? Do you want to work on the business side of a cloud-based software company (e.g. marketing, sales, customer support, etc.)?

One thing you can do to determine what interests you the most is to try to schedule informational interviews with professionals in the field. There's no replacement for that kind of experience. An informational interview is typically about 30 minutes. You can reach out to a professional whose job you're interested in, and ask them to tell you about their career path and the choices they made along the way.

The basics of a good informational interview are:

1. Research the individual in advance so that you can ask them good questions.
  2. Come to the meeting prepared with a list of questions (you may even want to send the questions to your contact in advance).
  3. Follow up with a thank-you note after the meeting.
Thank you comment icon Can you please explain the languages or technologies that are being used in developing a cloud based app and in managing the cloud-based parts of a company's information technology (IT) infrastructure as I it very difficult to get information interviews in my region. Also can you please explain under which section does virtualisation comes or creating or management of server comes. Also thank you for replying it really helped. Archit
Thank you comment icon https://www.guru99.com/cloud-computing-for-beginners.html just look into it it might help .. Chandan Sinha
1
1

Shamit’s Answer

Cloud provides a way to host your application / website / services without having to buy your own hardware and networking. This is a good career path for Application developers as well as IT Infrastructure engineers.

Next Step :

You can take a two-pronged approach to know more about cloud.

1. Structured learning : These courses on Udemy provide a good overview (Coursera also has similar courses). https://www.udemy.com/cloud-computing-basics-essential-concepts-you-must-know/ and https://www.udemy.com/getting-started-with-cloud-computing-level-1/
  2. Hands-on learning : AWS , Azure and Google Cloud provide free account that you can use for running your own programs.

Shamit recommends the following next steps:

Online course on introduction to cloud computing
Hands on lab with free account
Thank you comment icon Thank you very much. Archit
1
0

Nakul’s Answer

Hi Archit,

I have multiple folks asking me this question over a long period of time. First let me tell you the mistake many of them do is to directly jump on courses that are directed towards AWS, Azure, GCloud, etc. Now the problem that they encounter is most of these courses would directly teach them how to use services in some cloud provider and thus abstracting all the underlying fundamentals of Computer Science. And as your question asks about learning and understanding cloud computing and not a cloud provider you get what I am trying to say.

Now coming to what you should do according to me:
Learn networking concepts like VPC, Subnets, IP. Security is one of the most important component in cloud computing. Need to get your basics correct and strong. Then work on Linux. And for these mentioned topics you can take any good course on any learning platform. Even Youtube has short videos on all of them.

Once you get hands on training and good knowledge of the above mentioned concepts then I would recommend you to learn some cloud provider like AWS(Recommended), Azure(If you have interest).

Do comment and let me know if you need more help.
0
0

Tina’s Answer

To start with, you need to know the concept of cloud and Dockers.
Step 1: Start off with understanding how , what and where to use cloud infrastructure.
Step 2: Understand the concept of Dockers, as it is a CLI you will get the nitty gritty details of cloud, because you have to write command lines for every step and for every action. In here also look at PODS and how they work and how to build them.
Step 3: As you have got the basics of what is cloud, pick which cloud infrastructure is used in your firm/college.
Step 4: Types of cloud:
a. AWS
b. Azure.
c. Gaia and the list goes on
Step 5: Based on the cloud infrastructure, refer their course/ reference material.

You will have an edge on others as you have complete command on CLI based cloud set up if the steps are followed in sequence.
0
0

Luke’s Answer

As someone who as done so recently, entering into the data science/cloud computing world can lead to an overwhelming amount of options as far as career paths and online resources. As I am not that far into my own career, but have learned a great deal in the last couple years, the advice I have given to others in similar situations is to dive in somewhere. The computer science/data science/cloud computing fields do have so many options and the learning curve feels extremely steep at the beginning, but finding an online class or youtube series and jumping into it will get you exposure to many different fields at once. While the learning curve is slightly steep compared to other fields, I have found that the learning process did not take as long as I expected it to take.

You may not fully understand what exactly the course will teach you, but most likely it will either, be interesting in itself or mention another route that sounds interesting. The beginning of a career working in the computing world is a process of jumping down many rabbit holes, which can feel ambiguous but, in my opinion, the best way to start is find the first rabbit hole and jump!

Luke recommends the following next steps:

Find a YouTube series by searching cloud computing class and sit through a few classes, actually following along hands-on
If they mention something you don't know- Google!
0
0

Saugata’s Answer

I assume you have some technology education or skill already before you want to peruse cloud computing, without understanding the computer basics you will find it difficult to work in Cloud environment. you start with udamy courses to understand your current understanding and interest then you can decide if this is right path for you.
0
0

Vineeth’s Answer

There are tons of online universities and sites offering courses. Start with youtube and if you feel you are passionate in learning more, register for some certificate courses. linkedin courses are also great to be part of.
0
0

UMESH’s Answer

As many suggested there are different Cloud providers industries like AWS , Azure, Google Cloud and many more.
As per recent reports AWS has major market share in cloud business so I would suggest to start with AWS cloud.

You can use free your tube videos to start with for understanding basic concepts of Cloud and AWS then you can explore some of online learning courses like Udmey, Cloud Guru and get more understanding around topic.

Key is you try to practice these skills so registering free tier account of AWS and get skills of AWS concepts and configuration will really help to enhance your skills,

0
0

Syeda’s Answer

To answer your question The term “cloud computing” refers to a wide area of information technology (IT) that touches on the following areas:
• Hardware infrastructure
• Software infrastructure
• Datacenter facilities
• Virtualization technologies
• Software engineering concepts

All these areas are connected and can provide you with a strong background as you start exploring and working with cloud computing platforms.
We can start with a basic assumption: you don’t need a degree or a computer science or computer engineering degree to learn cloud computing. You can start learning cloud computing from scratch even if you have very basic IT skills. You will just need to learn some of the main concepts, and how those concepts relate to each other. Then get some hands-on practice, especially in fixing problems.
0
0

Vineeth’s Answer

I would start with picking a popular cloud platform. I would recommend starting with AWS

1. Start with the Cloud Practioner Cert. This is an introductory cert that gets you thinking about cloud technologies and familiarizes yourself with cloud acronyms. You can pick some of the popular courses in Udemy
2. Next will to take the AWS Solutions Architect. This will give you the necessary breadth and depth that you need to further your cloud knowledge. Sign up for the the free AWS tier and try out things as you learn. Again pick one of the famous Udemy Courses
By the end of architect cert you should have necessary working knowledge
0
0