Want to study Cloud Computing, don't know where to start from?

I want to study Cloud Computing and develop it as a career afterwards, but the main obstacle I come across is from where I should start, I've searched on google and quora but most of the answers are related to data science or AWS. It's very confusing as I cannot understand what I want to do in this field.
I need some serious guidance, advice, learning path or a detailed explanation of this field.
#science #aws #college #career #cloud #computing #google #software #datascience #india #technology

I started with studying for the SA associates certification using acloudguru or courses for certification preparation on Udemy. While you do so, start reading up on DevOps. Infrastructure as code and automation. That’s how my journey started. Gaurav Rastogi

35

Chris’s Answer

Work out what you want to do in the cloud market first. There is so much choice - engineering, sales, marketing, solution architecture, product development, finance, etc... Whatever you decide it's good to get an appreciation of how the solutions work and what benefits they can bring to their end users.

The primary cloud providers (AWS, Azure and Google) are all fighting for market share - and believe me, there is a big market to go after! They have rightly worked out that they need to invest in training and enablement to make sure that the next wave of people who will use/build on/design/etc... cloud solutions, favour their solutions over others. As such, they have invested heavily in providing free collateral/information online, which you can access. This builds up from high level/starter through to very advanced detail. You can also put this knowledge to the test via free access to the platforms that they offer.

7

Jacob’s Answer

Cloud covers so many bases that you might want to narrow your focus a bit. I would recommend that you take advantage of the free tier from AWS. You can test out and work with most of the features. This ought to help you decide where to focus your time and effort.

For me, I often find it difficult to get a handle on a new bit of tech if I don't actually use it for something, even if that something is a simple as a hello world app.

This is great advice. John Lockney

2

Adam’s Answer

Cloud computing revolutionized the world of technology, and will continue to play a central role in the creation of new products and businesses for the foreseeable future. It's a big topic, so I would first recommend that you start determining what exactly you want to do within the world of cloud computing.

For example, do you want to build applications that run "in the cloud?" Do you want to manage the cloud-based parts of a company's information technology (IT) infrastructure? Do you want to work on the business side of a cloud-based software company (e.g. marketing, sales, customer support, etc.)?

One thing you can do to determine what interests you the most is to try to schedule informational interviews with professionals in the field. There's no replacement for that kind of experience. An informational interview is typically about 30 minutes. You can reach out to a professional whose job you're interested in, and ask them to tell you about their career path and the choices they made along the way.

The basics of a good informational interview are:

1. Research the individual in advance so that you can ask them good questions.
  2. Come to the meeting prepared with a list of questions (you may even want to send the questions to your contact in advance).
  3. Follow up with a thank-you note after the meeting.

Can you please explain the languages or technologies that are being used in developing a cloud based app and in managing the cloud-based parts of a company's information technology (IT) infrastructure as I it very difficult to get information interviews in my region. Also can you please explain under which section does virtualisation comes or creating or management of server comes. Also thank you for replying it really helped. Archit D.

https://www.guru99.com/cloud-computing-for-beginners.html just look into it it might help .. Chandan Sinha

1

Zahur’s Answer

Microsoft, Google and Amazon all publish a lot of articles, white papers, and exams on cloud computing. You may want to consider starting there and navigating towards what is most interesting to you in Cloud Computing. For example, Amazon's Cloud Practitioner certification process can expose you to basic Cloud Computing concepts that may allow you to decide what is most interesting to you.

1

Gouthamraj’s Answer

You may want to start with a free edX introductory online course on cloud computing.

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-cloud-infrastructure-technologies

Gouthamraj recommends the following next steps:

Also, do not forget to learn linux basics, as you'd have to know linux if you want to learn advanced cloud technologies. https://www.netacad.com/courses/os-it/ndg-linux-essentials

1

Shamit’s Answer

Cloud provides a way to host your application / website / services without having to buy your own hardware and networking. This is a good career path for Application developers as well as IT Infrastructure engineers.

Next Step :

You can take a two-pronged approach to know more about cloud.

1. Structured learning : These courses on Udemy provide a good overview (Coursera also has similar courses). https://www.udemy.com/cloud-computing-basics-essential-concepts-you-must-know/ and https://www.udemy.com/getting-started-with-cloud-computing-level-1/
  2. Hands-on learning : AWS , Azure and Google Cloud provide free account that you can use for running your own programs.

Shamit recommends the following next steps:

Online course on introduction to cloud computing
Hands on lab with free account

Thank you very much. Archit D.

1

Silpa’s Answer

Hi Archit,

Imagine you have 1000 PC/Laptop/Servers in an office containing 1000s of pictures, videos etc, that you need to access on a daily basis (like Google Photos for example). Imagine hosting 1000 such hardware infrastructure. Not only will it be expensive, but also difficult to manage. And to access it you have to go to this office everyday --- not so feasible.

Now imaging you have 1 box (hypervisor) that can host 1000 such virtual servers (such as VMs) hosted on the internet, that you can access from your home/mobile phone anywhere anytime. That is cloud computing. Everything is in the cloud.

As for where to get started, I see others have provided great links. Here's another one: Even if you don't want to take the exam, the resources provided here are good https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications/associate/ccna-cloud.html.

Goodluck to you.

1

Devin’s Answer

Hi Archit,

As with everyone else here, I wish you the best of luck in your education and journey. Indeed, cloud computing seems to be growing ever more popular. As a Support Manager, I needed to prepare myself and my team of support engineers for dealing with cloud computing and cloud environment as well.

Our most helpful tool that we used was Linux Academy - there is a wide variety of courses and lessons available for people to take for multiple clouds platforms (not just AWS!).

The next step my team and I took was to work on our various cloud environment certifications, such as AWS Cloud certifications or Azure Cloud Certifications. Even without paying for the certification itself, the courses and tests are helpful in expanding your skill set and education.

1

Peter’s Answer

Hi Archit - resolving to learn more about Cloud Computing is an awesome first step. There are always two parts of a learning journey - the theory and the hands-on, practical applications to the theory. Learning AWS will allow you to begin learning about how AWS is putting into practice most, if not all, of the cloud computing theory. As you learn more about AWS, you will also learn more about cloud computing. There are numerous (and free) online learning platforms - each with their own content delivery styles. The best way to learn is to actually do it and practice what you've just learned so use online learning platforms that allow you to "learn by doing". Hope this helps. Good luck! - Peter

0

Vikas’s Answer

Hi Archit D,

This is one of the interesting technology you are talking about. You have many vendors but the main ones are like AWS(pioneer who started this and more famous),Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud. Now let's go in training mode.

1.You need to be aware about Network(Cisco CCNA) and Operating System technologies (Microsoft/Linux Certicates). By going through this you will be able to see the complete infrastructure that Cloud trying to replace or virtualise.

2.AWS/Microsoft/Google cloud free account but use them with proper trainings provided by CloudGuru and Udemy.

3.Mainly you need to be aware about basic stuff of these things databases, Applications(going to use all above) and any coding sspecially python or AWSCLI.

Hope this helps in your Journey that you are going to start.
Cheers
Vikas

0

Tina’s Answer

To start with, you need to know the concept of cloud and Dockers.
Step 1: Start off with understanding how , what and where to use cloud infrastructure.
Step 2: Understand the concept of Dockers, as it is a CLI you will get the nitty gritty details of cloud, because you have to write command lines for every step and for every action. In here also look at PODS and how they work and how to build them.
Step 3: As you have got the basics of what is cloud, pick which cloud infrastructure is used in your firm/college.
Step 4: Types of cloud:
a. AWS
b. Azure.
c. Gaia and the list goes on
Step 5: Based on the cloud infrastructure, refer their course/ reference material.

You will have an edge on others as you have complete command on CLI based cloud set up if the steps are followed in sequence.

0

Sukeerth’s Answer

"Cloud Computing" is a hot topic and a job sought everywhere. In the simplest terms, cloud computing means storing and accessing data and programs over the Internet instead of your computer's hard drive. The cloud is just a metaphor for the Internet. While that is the simplest of answsers, Cloud is a vast subject. There are a lot of places where you can begin. Here is one link that might be useful : https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-is-cloud-computing-everything-you-need-to-know-from-public-and-private-cloud-to-software-as-a/

https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/10748-top-5-cloud-certifications.html

Hope this helps! Good luck with your career.

Sukeerth recommends the following next steps:

Learn the basics of cloud computing.
Undergo certification.

0

Himanshu’s Answer

As Chris said, look for the specialisation. Currently there are various online education providers in India like coursera, unacademy, etc.
There are few courses as well. Also, youtube is a big plus. All you need is dedication. :)

0

S’s Answer

Hi There, Cloud is definitely a cool part of IT to upskill in.

AWS makes it easy to get started with their free online training. The best URL is this one, https://aws.amazon.com/training/ which will take you to the main page. The sub-URL's change around a bit, but from this page (currently) you can scroll down a bit and you'll see "Free Digital Training". From there you can explore online learning with a range of focus areas.

I've used them myself and found them very helpful to get started!

S recommends the following next steps:

https://aws.amazon.com/training/

0

Imran’s Answer

Prerequisites to learning cloud computing
Hardware infrastructure.
Software infrastructure.
Data center facilities.
Virtualization technologies.
Software engineering concepts.

The 8 Best Places to Learn Cloud Computing
Amazon Web Services. Let's first look at Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon's popular cloud offering. ...
Udemy. Udemy is a leading provider of online courses on various topics. ...
Coursera. This is a leading online education platform. ...
Edx.org. ...
LinkedIn Learning with Lynda.com content. ...
Cloud Academy. ...
Linux Academy. ...
A Cloud Guru.

0

Chiranjit’s Answer

Cloud Computing is huge domain, you should first choose your domain of experience such as you are interested for Dev-Ops kind of learning or Cloud administration. Depending on that you can choose appropriate courses.

0

Gururaj’s Answer

Hi Archit

Cloud computing technology enables computing components such as Hardware, Software and Infrastructure as fully virtualized, scalable to deliver the services "as a service". You can think of these are set of computers, networking, storage that are virtualized to provide infrastructure, platform and software as a service to end users.
Cloud computing includes
Virtualization
Service oriented Architecture
Grid/Utility computing

You can go thru some online materials @ educba
You can also get some hands-on with udemy/campk12

thanks
Guru

0

Anuj’s Answer

Best way to start in my opinion is to get hands on and create an account with AWS or GCP, both have reasonable options for free that allow you to get started.

0

Akash’s Answer

Hi,

I would like to recommend OReilly books for getting an understanding of this. You can choose development or administration, however first understanding the basics should be a good start.

you can start with The Basics of Cloud Computing.

0

karthik’s Answer

cloud computing as it is considered as the innovation of this current technology and these technologies have a great potential to bring numerous perks and good things to a business. With the use of cloud services increasingly in almost every industry, there are chances for more opportunities and huge salaries in this domain.
in cloud computing, you've lots of options to acquire cloud knowledge. Since you're a beginner, I recommend first referring to some YouTube videos which explain some basic concepts of cloud computing, cloud services, and its providers, etc.

0

Brinda’s Answer

Hi. I think the best way is to start with Cloud Computing Tutorial for Beginners . There are multiple sites. I have shared one below, which I found helpful :

https://www.guru99.com/cloud-computing-for-beginners.html

You can always reach out on such forums for any concepts in it which you were not clear about.

All the best !

Regards.

0

Sharan’s Answer

You can download the Swayam app available in the Play store and register yourself by selecting the topics. There will be live classroom session taken by the IIT professional. It will be helpful to get basic knowledge about the topic.

0

Raashid’s Answer

Here are some of the best places to increase your cloud computing knowledge:
Amazon Web Services. ...
Udemy. ...
Coursera. ...
Edx.org. ...
Cloud Academy. ...
A Cloud Guru. ...

0

Ann Harsha’s Answer

Hi Archit D,
Following are some Free Trainings and certifications from Oracle Cloud and Azure for limited period, you can make use of the same too:

Azure 900 fundamentals Training and certification:
Link: https://info.microsoft.com/US-AzureApp-CATALOG-FY20-05May-12-TrainingAzure900fundamentalsforeducation-SRDEM15957_CatalogDisplayPage.html?fbclid=IwAR0E3ahbcZfbyiTLhHMS_AAYGUTULGetPLfSb55eLRQMZVobgnBeronXTY0

Oracle Cloud Training and Certifications:

Link: https://www.oracle.com/corporate/blog/free-certifications-oracle-oci-autonomous-033020.html

0

Arpita A’s Answer

Hi Archit,

Cloud Computing is a way of abstracting the physical hardware from the user and process the data on distributes systems/servers. These servers would are highly capable (in terms of memory, CPU cores) and are also robust in nature. You will have to run through few links or register yourself to few courses like Udemy to get more and detailed insight of the technology.

Also, you can do some certifications like AWS, Azure.

All the best!

Regards.

0

Vineeth’s Answer

There are tons of online universities and sites offering courses. Start with youtube and if you feel you are passionate in learning more, register for some certificate courses. linkedin courses are also great to be part of.

0

Syeda’s Answer

To answer your question The term “cloud computing” refers to a wide area of information technology (IT) that touches on the following areas:
• Hardware infrastructure
• Software infrastructure
• Datacenter facilities
• Virtualization technologies
• Software engineering concepts

All these areas are connected and can provide you with a strong background as you start exploring and working with cloud computing platforms.
We can start with a basic assumption: you don’t need a degree or a computer science or computer engineering degree to learn cloud computing. You can start learning cloud computing from scratch even if you have very basic IT skills. You will just need to learn some of the main concepts, and how those concepts relate to each other. Then get some hands-on practice, especially in fixing problems.

0

Luke’s Answer

As someone who as done so recently, entering into the data science/cloud computing world can lead to an overwhelming amount of options as far as career paths and online resources. As I am not that far into my own career, but have learned a great deal in the last couple years, the advice I have given to others in similar situations is to dive in somewhere. The computer science/data science/cloud computing fields do have so many options and the learning curve feels extremely steep at the beginning, but finding an online class or youtube series and jumping into it will get you exposure to many different fields at once. While the learning curve is slightly steep compared to other fields, I have found that the learning process did not take as long as I expected it to take.

You may not fully understand what exactly the course will teach you, but most likely it will either, be interesting in itself or mention another route that sounds interesting. The beginning of a career working in the computing world is a process of jumping down many rabbit holes, which can feel ambiguous but, in my opinion, the best way to start is find the first rabbit hole and jump!

Luke recommends the following next steps:

Find a YouTube series by searching cloud computing class and sit through a few classes, actually following along hands-on
If they mention something you don't know- Google!

0

karthik’s Answer

While there are quite a few “it depends” that I will get to later, I keep coming back to starting with a solid definition what cloud computing even is. The most thoughtful and time tested is SP 800-145, The NIST Definition of Cloud Computing

. This was published in 2011 by the US National Institute of Standards and Technology and has stood the test of time. It is fairly succinct, which is good for a definition, but examples do help. Once you’ve given the above a read, you may want to check out Kumulus Technologies How to Explain Cloud Computing to Your Boss

. That takes the NIST definition, expands on it and provides examples of what the terms mean and how they provide value to cloud operators, application developers and businesses. The title comes from the idea that if you can explain the concept to someone else, you know you’ve actually learned it.
So where to next? If you’ve got a CS (computer science) degree, that’s great, but not necessary. In my mind, while not cloud-specific technology, you will learn more advanced cloud concepts more easily if you understand a bit about the bash scripting

language, SSH

, and Git

version control.
OK, now you’ve gotten through some basics, the next step is to start looking at the specific technology you want to work with. Because “cloud computing” is not one single thing, the options are many, so it is best to have some idea of where you want to focus. There are many modern technologies that leverage cloud systems. If you want to learn AI/ML, for example, you’ll want to understand the basics there and then looks at how to implement your particular use case - maybe you’ll want to leverage the built-in tools available on Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform or Microsoft Azure’s public cloud offerings. What you choose will depend on you having gotten through the basics, done additional homework on what aspect of cloud systems you have decided to focus on…
Good luck with your learning!

0

UMESH’s Answer

As many suggested there are different Cloud providers industries like AWS , Azure, Google Cloud and many more.
As per recent reports AWS has major market share in cloud business so I would suggest to start with AWS cloud.

You can use free your tube videos to start with for understanding basic concepts of Cloud and AWS then you can explore some of online learning courses like Udmey, Cloud Guru and get more understanding around topic.

Key is you try to practice these skills so registering free tier account of AWS and get skills of AWS concepts and configuration will really help to enhance your skills,

0

Nikhil’s Answer

Hi,
Cloud computing can be exciting career choice if you love computer networking, web technology, Linux OS and at least one programming language as this is multi-disciplinary field. Path towards becoming a good cloud computing engineer can be lengthy, albeit rewarding, as you need master these technology one by one and do hand-on practice exercises too.

If you are in engineering college or have recently completed your engineering and have CS or IT or EC background, I suggest you to thoroughly learn course of below exams (and if possible, appear in the exam too which can boost your confidence):
1. CompTIA Network +
2. CCNA Routing & switching
3. CompTIA Security+

Books to refer:
1. Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach by Kurose and Ross
2. Any CCNA Routing and Switching book from Cisco Press
3. Comptia Network+ Certification Guide

Learn at least one programming language (preferably Python) to an intermediate level and Linux operating system. Plenty of such courses are available online on EdX, coursera, Udemy, Pluralsight, O'reilly, etc.

Remember, it's the technology you should go after instead of a company (be is AWS, GCP or Microsoft Azure) and their cloud computing offerings as it comes later once you know fundamental technology underneath.

Learning these may take upto 1 to 2 years depending on how much time you invest and track your progress. If you are a student then you have time to study these, but if you have recently started your career then continue learning these along with your current job.

Wish you all the best!

0

Kunwar’s Answer

Cloud computing in a nutshell is a distributed set of systems which you can utilise to do some task faster combining the power of multiple systems. Now the leader in the industry is certainly AWS which some of the answers here have mentioned but there are others also like google cloud, azure etc. but generally once you are comfortable with one of them, you won't find using others difficult.

Coming to the point where you should start, if you are in college you can take up the course if it is available there, if not i'll provide you with some of the links which i have personally found to be great in terms of learning and practical applications in the field.

To start from basics : https://www.udemy.com/course/cloud-computing-concepts/
To get some hands on experience : https://www.udemy.com/course/aws-certified-cloud-practitioner/

0

Mark’s Answer

Hey Archit!

As a student that was really interested in cloud computing tools such as AWS, I have definitely been in your position of being unsure where to start. It is a huge field and there are lots of niche and specific paths you can go down (virtualization, networking, containerization, etc) and it is really easy to go down a rabbit hole within a specific path. I agree that it is intimidating to approach Cloud Computing as it seems so vast. How I first approached Cloud Computing was having a specific project goal in mind and think about how to integrate Cloud tools into it. This helped narrow my view of Cloud Computing and forced me to focus on specific areas to get started with so I did not get too overwhelmed. For example, I initially built a web application without using any Cloud Computing tools and, over time, thought about how Cloud tools could be used to help my project. What I found was I was able to leverage Cloud Architecture tools such as infrastructure, and I slowly migrated my backend to a Cloud service such as AWS. Because I knew specifically what I wanted to achieve, I could search up Youtube videos or tutorials and became well oriented with that area of Cloud.

0

Kiran’s Answer

If you see the computer history (In famous Computer history museum), mostly it is started for solving complicated math problem as a calculator. Later it is used in business to solve their business problem. So every business needs many computer for various purpose. It is easy for technology companies to develop and maintain these infrastructure(computer ,network etc). But for other companies , that is not their core business , it is not cost effective and easy to maintain them. Few technology companies started hosting data centres for those companies in remote and they can use those infrastructure as need basis and pay only for that time . This model became successful as it is cheaper/stable and many started using it to make their life easier and concentrate on their core business. So Cloud computing started.
As mentioned by many other answers here, it is better to start with basic computing,network,security,Operating system,databases in YouTube or any of the free courses available. After understanding those basics, start taking some simple courses in Udemy to understand different cloud technologies(GCP,AWS or Azzure) and as a last step pickup one of the cloud provided and learn different services(compute, storage security etc) in one of them(AWS,Azzure or google). Then take some certification from them with the hand on experience(every one gives free account)

0

lalit’s Answer

Cloud computing is a method of computing where a shared group of resources such as file storage, web servers, data processing services and applications are accessed via the internet.
You will hear all the time that cloud computing skills are in tremendous demand and supply of good talent just can't keep up. The perception is that cloud computing, while hot, is difficult enough that it needs specialists to design, implement, and even deploy services for end users on top of it.

To learn cloud computing you should start with basics. You should have basic skills on following technologies:
• Storage
• Networking
• Virtualization
• Linux
• Web Services And API

Once you have these skills you can plan for one of the course/certification provided by major Cloud service providers. All major service providers including Amazon and Microsoft offer training and certifications that could jump-start your cloud computing career.
Some of the well known are:
• AWS Certification.
• Azure Certification.
• Google Cloud Certified.

As of today the best cloud computing services providers are:

• Amazon Web Services.
• Microsoft Azure.
• Google Cloud.
• IBM Cloud.
• Oracle Cloud.

0

Nakul’s Answer

Hi Archit,

I have multiple folks asking me this question over a long period of time. First let me tell you the mistake many of them do is to directly jump on courses that are directed towards AWS, Azure, GCloud, etc. Now the problem that they encounter is most of these courses would directly teach them how to use services in some cloud provider and thus abstracting all the underlying fundamentals of Computer Science. And as your question asks about learning and understanding cloud computing and not a cloud provider you get what I am trying to say.

Now coming to what you should do according to me:
Learn networking concepts like VPC, Subnets, IP. Security is one of the most important component in cloud computing. Need to get your basics correct and strong. Then work on Linux. And for these mentioned topics you can take any good course on any learning platform. Even Youtube has short videos on all of them.

Once you get hands on training and good knowledge of the above mentioned concepts then I would recommend you to learn some cloud provider like AWS(Recommended), Azure(If you have interest).

Do comment and let me know if you need more help.

0

Ravindranath’s Answer

Hi,

First of all start with the basic principles of cloud, I mean you must know the basic working of cloud-like IAAS, PAAS, and SAAS.

Now its time to grab some knowledge on Operating Systems, Virtualization and Computer Networking because without CN you would not understand the terminologies used in cloud-like port no, IP address, and TCP/IP.

Now its time to start with one single “Cloud Provider” you can choose Azure or AWS or google cloud.

For Example if you choose Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon’s popular cloud offering. Many of their online training courses are free and are a great place to start. In fact, they offer over 150 courses on AWS fundamentals. Their courses are short and packed with good information. Some of their interesting featured courses include:

AWS Cloud Practitioner Essentials
Introduction to AWS Secrets Manager
Big Data Technology Fundamentals
AWS Analytics Services Overview
You can also browse courses by role or content domain.

For Reference:
https://aws.amazon.com/training/

Once you’ve got the basics down, you can look into the other options if you want to gain more in-depth knowledge.

All the Best!!!!!

0