What are steps to becoming a nurse practitioner?

5

I am very interested in health and science. I love working with other and being hands on. I'm interested in becoming a nurse and want to know more about the steps to becoming a nurse practitioner. #nursing #nurse #nurse-practitioner #aprn

Hi there! At Bob's suggestion I added additional several additional topics to this question. This will help other nurses and students find your question! Jared Chung BACKER Translate
5

Robert’s Answer

4

Traditionally you get a bachelor's degree in nursing, pass the boards to become a registered nurse, practice for 2+ years then return to school to get a master's or doctoral degree in nursing to become a nurse practitioner.

Some will start out as nursing assistants, then become RNs with an associate's degree then go on to get their bachelor's degree and follow the path above.

Others will get a bachelor's degree in another field then return to school in an accelerated nursing program. They will fake and pass their nursing boards and become RNs, Many will then enter directly into a master's program or doctoral program to become a nurse practitioner.

Once you finish your graduate education you will have to take another board examination to be come certified as a nurse practitioner. Then you will get licensed in the state you want to practice in as an APRN (Advanced Practice Registered Nurse) which is the official designation for nurse practitioners.

Hello! I share your interests and encourage you to persue this! I agree with the other comments on this board. I also greatly encourage you to spend at least 2 years as a "bedside nurse" before (or while) you go to grad school. It's so beneficial to have the actual experince, rather just having school knowldge. Granted, you do have clinical experience in school, but you learn SO much more when you're on your own! Best to be really comfortable with patient care before becoming a practitioner. Good luck!! Irene Arveson Translate
4

Emmawilson’s Answer

2

Usually, to become a nurse practitioner, you:

1. Obtain a bachelor's (undergraduate) degree in nursing - Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)

2. Take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses to become a Registered Nurse (RN)

3. Get some working experience as a RN
4. Obtain a graduate degree in nursing, e.g., Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
5. You usually have a specialty (e.g., Cardiology, Oncology, Pediatrics) and there may be certification for that specialty

2

Caroline’s Answer

0

Here you are follow the link i attached below and this will show you step by step what you should do.

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Nurse-Practitioner

0