It's great that you are asking this question because you will spend most of your daily life in your chosen occupation. Also, please know that throughout your career path, you may be faced with this same question again. When choosing a career, consider your strengths, interests, and where you desire to make a difference in this world so that you can bring about resolution to a need others have. Thus, you are helping others and your career choice will be rewarding for you as well.
It may be best to make a list of pros vs cons when determining which career you would like to pursue in this stage of your life. Make a list of what is important to you and what you would be willing to sacrifice in regards to time, years of career training, financing your education, etc. in order to accomplish your career goal(s).
I found a website that helps with career exploration, take a moment to visit and select items that are most meaningful to you. There are various occupations that may interest you, but this website will help in narrowing down a few. I hope the best for you as you explore your career options!
Career Exploration: https://www.bls.gov/k12/content/students/careers/career-exploration.htm
L.N. recommends the following next steps:
- Make a list of the careers that interest you (include if the career requires certain strengths in certain subjects - math, science, etc).
- Make a list of the pro and cons of the careers you listed.
- Determine what sacrifices it will take for you to accomplish your career goals (i.e. length of time in college, salary (more or less), typical hour work week (some jobs may require more than 40 hrs at various times).
- Visit: https://www.bls.gov/k12/content/students/careers/career-exploration.htm and selected which career(s) you are interested in and also compare this to the list you made earlier.
- Remember, you may be asking your same initial question, “What career is the best for me?” many times in various stages of your life as you grow in your career path :)