What career is the best for me?

6
6

L.N.’s Answer

1

Hi Juan,

It's great that you are asking this question because you will spend most of your daily life in your chosen occupation. Also, please know that throughout your career path, you may be faced with this same question again. When choosing a career, consider your strengths, interests, and where you desire to make a difference in this world so that you can bring about resolution to a need others have. Thus, you are helping others and your career choice will be rewarding for you as well.

It may be best to make a list of pros vs cons when determining which career you would like to pursue in this stage of your life. Make a list of what is important to you and what you would be willing to sacrifice in regards to time, years of career training, financing your education, etc. in order to accomplish your career goal(s).

I found a website that helps with career exploration, take a moment to visit and select items that are most meaningful to you. There are various occupations that may interest you, but this website will help in narrowing down a few. I hope the best for you as you explore your career options!

Career Exploration: https://www.bls.gov/k12/content/students/careers/career-exploration.htm

L.N. recommends the following next steps:

• Make a list of the careers that interest you (include if the career requires certain strengths in certain subjects - math, science, etc).
  • Make a list of the pro and cons of the careers you listed.
  • Determine what sacrifices it will take for you to accomplish your career goals (i.e. length of time in college, salary (more or less), typical hour work week (some jobs may require more than 40 hrs at various times).
  • Visit: https://www.bls.gov/k12/content/students/careers/career-exploration.htm and selected which career(s) you are interested in and also compare this to the list you made earlier.
  • Remember, you may be asking your same initial question, “What career is the best for me?” many times in various stages of your life as you grow in your career path :)
1

1
Hi Juan
You have been given some excellent advice and recommendations. My only additional thought for you to consider is to explore your natural strengths and build your career path from that foundation. My favorite assessment is StrengthsFinder. The focus is purely on your true strengths and how to leverage them for a successful career. The insights are very revealing into what you naturally do well which can be very rewarding and lucrative. Best of luck.

Kim recommends the following next steps:

• Research the StrengthsFinder assessment to determine application to your goals.
  • Take the StrengthsFinder assessment and review the results for direction of your career goals.
  • Maintain the report for reference as your career progresses.
1

Jennifer’s Answer

0
You have so many choices in finding a career fit for you. The Department of Labor has a web site where you can take some free career assessments to help you find a career you will love. Go with your passion and the money will follow!
0

Kori’s Answer

0
Hi Juan,

It all depends on your interest and it is important to know you do not have to be dead set one career. I would say pursue opportunities in jobs of interest, speak with people that have a job that you are interested in and see if it aligns with your interests.
0

Mary’s Answer

0

Something that you enjoy and will grow everyday. The most important is to know what you like and what interests you - is it helping others? learning? fixing things? creating things? once you know, research what jobs will allow you to do that. Look at your strengths and weaknesses and try to develop plan on how you can better yourself. The best career for you is the one that you go for!

0

Amanda’s Answer

0
The definition of career is "an occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person's life and with opportunities for progress." according to Bing. I did not know what I wanted until I was almost 40 when I found it, because it came naturally and was fun. On paper it is not something many people would choose. Be open to experience as much as you can. If you are working someplace you don't really care for but is paying your bills, try other things part time or with an internship/job shadow. There is something ready made for you or be like other entrepreneurs and dream the next big thing. Just never give up and be willing to work hard and do what other people won't or don't. A lot of great services were designed to cover things people don't want to do. You are only limited by your beliefs that you can't do something. When you don't know what to do - do anything! Disclaimer - Do anything, as long as it is legal, moral and ethical. Have fun and enjoy your life!
0

Baah’s Answer

0
A career that is link with something inside you that you enjoy going on any day at any time. Something you are passionate about. Let me inspire you with a young lady who shared her story about this same topic on television in Ghana. She had successfully completed her nursing school with good grades and was sponsored to further her education abroad. She was doing well in her chosen field but there was something she enjoyed most that she wasn't doing that made her unhappy(preparing a particular kind of stew we call shito and packaging it). She finally decided to honor the burning desire by leaving the nursing field into preparing shito. Family members descended on her heavy, suffered a divorce and friend breakups. Other call her a fool while others said she was hunted by a which craft. She stood her grounds and became the first Ghanaian women to export package shirto to some European countries. She got into contact with so many people that opened different doors and opportunities. There must always be the question of "how does the course I am about enrolled in, had to do with what I enjoy most?" Finding an answer to this question can lead one into discovering ones hidden career.
0