Why did you decide to do this job?

Updated El Paso, Texas

G. Mark’s Answer

In most facets of my career, I've been presented with compelling opportunities. I originally got a scholarship to a university to study medicine. After being exposed to a lecture about computer science, I was drawn to it. In computers, I ended up working on projects that got me involved building things. And from there, I ended up in computer and electrical engineering. Somehow, I got involved in entertainment as an adjunct to one of my projects, and did that for awhile. So the answer to your question is, "Because it seemed the most exciting and fun at the time." I don't think most people are that lucky, but I can tell you that most scientists and engineers do what they do because they're simply compelled to. Even sitting alone in the bathtub, if they relax for a minute or so, they'll be thinking about their science and engineering most of the time.

This has been very insightful to say the least, thank you!

Douglas’s Answer

Updated Easton, Massachusetts

Hi,

I assume that you are asking why I decided to become a mechanical engineer. The short answer is that I have always been interested in how things work and why they work. When I was much younger, I liked to take things apart. After graduating from college, I got a job in the Power Generation Industry (an industry that I knew almost nothing about). As I learned about the industry, I became very interested in rotating mechanical equipment (steam and gas turbine-generators) and made a career of working on them and ultimately became a consultant on their operation and maintenance.

Hope this helps,

Mary’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida

This position allows for growth, learning opportunities, every day is different and it let's you grow and develop. Working in a great organization that supports you is also important! Great benefits, flexibility, and inclusion!

Your reply really helped me in my decision making! Thank you so much!