When I do not meet all the requirements for a job, should I still see if it is possible for me to get that job?

I am an artist and I'd rather not work a job that keeps me grounded. I want to go places, meet creative people and do something I love. #job #career #art #job-search #career-counseling

Updated San Antonio, Texas

Zaida,

Men will go for it if they meet 60% of the requirements. Women look for a reason "not" to go for it, so, they let that one little itty bitty thing hold them back. Don't!

So yes, take chances! That being said, if you clearly would be in WAY over your head, don't do it. An example would be an Administrative Assistant who can't get around in Word or Excel. You want to be considerate of the employer's time. If you apply for the ones that you really aren't suited for, and later, something more appropriate comes open, you don't want them looking at your resume and saying, "oh. its "her.""

If the missing skill might keep you from getting the interview, consider addressing it head-on in your cover letter. That is, AFTER you have sold yourself, add a small section to say something like "Although I have no experience in xyz, at one time I had no experience in abc. Once I was exposed to it, I was quickly able to master it, as you can see in my portfolio. I expect to be able to do the same with xyz, and in fact, have already begun studying so-and-so's work in that area."

Speaking of portfolio's, make sure yours is up to speed, and is available in whatever forums typically used by artists in your field. I know LinkedIn allows for uploading. You may want to have your own website. This way, when you apply, they can look at your work. Don't wait till the interview to make your work available!

good luck!!

Kim

This is an extremely helpful answer for me, because i was originally going to put the requirements that I don't meet as the first paragraph in my cover letter.
Glad to help! Let us know how it goes! And, even if it does not work this time, keep trying!!!

Linda’s Answer

Updated Quakertown, Pennsylvania

Great question, Zaida! When employers compile the postings, they describe the ultimate skill set for the job. If, from what you read/learn about the position, you are at least half-qualified and think you can do it, then apply for it. Best Wishes!

Alec’s Answer

Yes, that is the perfect time to go after that job.

However, you should not only look at whether or not you have the requirements to do the job, but what other values you feel you can bring that team or company you want to work for. Let me know if this helps.

Goodluck :)

Thank you, I'll get back to you if it works out for me.

Alicia M.’s Answer

Not having all the requirements for the job doesn't necessarily close the door for you on qualifying for the job! I've had success in getting jobs whereby I didn't fill all of the requirements. My suggestion is, wen applying for the job (or crafting your CV) you should highlight the strengths that you do have. For the requirements that you having lacking, you should assess the steps you would need to close that gap, so in the case you are called for an interview you can speak to how you could get up to speed on those. Or if it means signing up for training or volunteer for a project that would relate to that experience/education you may lack shows initiative.

Alicia M. recommends the following next steps:

• Asses your gaps
  • Make a plan to find out which area you can work on short-term and long-term
  • Update your CV!
Thank you for your input. I initially thought that if you don't fully meet the requirements that you should just scrap the thought of applying for that job. However after reading your answer, I now get that you should take chances. Once again thank you :)

José Carlos’s Answer

Updated Dublin, County Dublin

Absolutely! Most of the job postings collect the ultimate and ideal set of skills, behaviours, and knowledge the company wants. It is their ideal candidate. And usually is that extensive, that if person fulfils it would likely not accept the job due to level or compensation.

Instead, most companies would select "the closest" candidate to that profile.

Note that not all companies follow that model (for example, Google doesn't), but in my experience the majority of companies do.

Stephanie’s Answer

There's a term that recruiters use when they've put together a job description for the "perfect" candidate: a purple squirrel. A purple squirrel doesn't exist and most likely nor does this "perfect" candidate. I've taken up the habit of looking at comparable jobs to my current roles and it can be comical at times of everything that an applicant "must have". Be confident in applying for roles. Confidence comes from also doing homework. When possible, seek someone out who is in the field or even in the company you want to apply so they can give you more insight into that role and use that info to tweak your resume so you stand out (if you can find someone to refer you as well - that is HUGE).

Stephanie recommends the following next steps:

• If you find a role you like, identify what skills you have, what you're "lacking" compared to the description and what relevant skills you have beyond what they're asking for.
  • Talk to someone in the field, get their feedback on your experience, skills pertinent to that role. If you don't know anyone, do online research - make sure they are legit sources.
  • Customize your resume. Add key words that will catch the recruiter's eye.
  • Go for it - apply!