What's it like to work in security?

3
3

0

Isidro,

This is a very difficult question to answer, because, Security encompasses so many different jobs!

1. The entry-level HS graduate no-experience-necessary position/retiree looking for extra pocket money: Could be going from business to business rattling doors to make sure they are locked. Or standing at the gate of a retirement community waving the residents through and logging all visitors in.
  2. Could be working in a bank lobby, greeting customers, while watching for bad guys, who rarely show up (thankfully). Or at a corporate headquarters, escorting employees to their cars when they leave late at night.
  3. lots of other stuff in between . . . club bouncers. crowd control (football games)., Armored car, etc
  4. Dignitary protection - lots of high profile targets and their families who could easily be the victims of kidnapping - , all the way up to presidential election contenders/ Secret Service type stuff.
  5. Military security- guarding missiles, installations, prisoners, etc.

All of it requires a level of alertness and good people skills. You would also need to stay calm under pressure, work well with other agencies, and write good reports.

Hope this helps!

Kim

0

Jason’s Answer

0
Security is not as bad of a career choice as Hollywood or television has portrayed. The movie Paul Blart Mall Cop is not a good indication on what its like working in security. Security is a good general term for the industry, however there a so many different subsets of protection a person can get into and make a lot of money doing.

For example, I work as an executive protection agent, in a nutshell I am embedded in a large Fortune 500 company and protect the CEO and all senior leadership staff to that company. I can go on for hours about my duties and what I do but below I will list a few different areas of "security" someone can specialist in. I hope this helps answer the question.

- Executive Protection
- Loss Prevention
- Patrol (vehicle/bike/foot)
- Static (guard shack/desk)
- Maritime Security
- Residential Security (this usually is a part of executive protection)
- Security Driver (also under EP)
- Celebrity Bodyguard
- Event Security (Sports games/convert venues)
0