Im 20 years old, and i am lost as far as what i want to do for a career.

Asked Grand Terrace, California

I am really into cars and racing, and anything that has to do with the outdoors, such as fishing, hunting, and many more. I love to build and work on things. growing up i was always told work shouldn't feel like work if you really love it. I would like to own a small online business in the future, but don't want to depend on that as a income. I just don't know how to find what career is right for me. #job #business #career-choice

Updated San Antonio, Texas

Hi Harley!

So, what are you doing right now? You seem to gravitate towards things where you are able to evaluate and make your own decisions, am I right? Can you handle being supervised, or do you have trouble with that? It's really wide open to you. I am older and tend to gravitate towards the "safe" jobs, with the steady stream of income, benefits, etc. But the people who really get ahead tend to do it by taking chances (calculated risks). The ones that immediately come to mind would be in the outdoor travel and tourism industries, including hunting guide, park ranger, game warden. There is still a need for people who can fix their own equipment rather than running off to a repair shop! Or, if you want to start a business, consider engine/motor repair - jet skis, boats, etc, not just lawn mowers! Some of these jobs may be seasonal, so you may need to consider stability as well. Government jobs (parks, etc) tend to be more secure, but, don't always pay as well. People tend to move between jobs an awful lot nowadays, without it being frowned on like it used to be, so you might want to sort of explore for a few years and see where it takes you!

The on-line business idea is something I only dabbled in, so can't help there.

Katie’s Answer

Updated Baltimore, Maryland

I would like to comment on the advice you heard growing up.

I love my job most of the time. I get to solve problems, help my team learn as they progress through their careers, and travel to some interesting places. There are still days it feels like work, though.

There are days with lots of paperwork, flight delays, and tough conversations that are really not fun and make my job feel like work. I believe everyone has those moments in their job.

When trying to decide what you want to do for work, be realistic. There will be good days and bad days in every job. Look for something where the good is in the majority.

You may want to explore what is offered at your local technical school related to your interests. They may have tools that will help you choose your career path, and they may be able to help you find a job once your have finished your education.

Katie recommends the following next steps:

• Check out your local technical school—explore your interests and take advantage of their career counseling resources