Is it more beneficial to have your own practice or go to a company/ industry in psychiatry?

2

I am a senior student at Brennan high school and am interested in being a psychiatrist. #psychology #psychiatry #management

2

Sandra’s Answer

0
I would say that it would be very beneficial to start with an established practice. Within that practice you are going to learn about the people, methodology and the business side of running that practice with the support of a team. You will learn the rhythms and common practices and expectations. You may even learned what NOT to do if your ultimate end goal is to have your own practice. It can also help to build your own clientele (if so allowed by the practice) for if you decide to open your own, etc. That way you are not starting from the beginning, as a consumer of that type of service, I would be very leery of contacting someone that has not been in the business for very long, and has their own practice, as I would be concerned about their knowledge and expertise, but if I'm calling a practice and asking for someone and they direct me towards you, that is a different manner. You will get experience in all different types of care and management.
0

Denise’s Answer

0

It is definitely beneficial to start with a company, hospital, or other organization. You will get good experience in the field, but it also takes time, money, business knowledge, and patience to build a private practice. Learn some business skills from others in addition to the mental health skills. It also depends on how much you want to work, benefits, etc. You work way more hours when it's your business than you do at a place where you can say your shift is over and there are other doctors that are taking over. There are pros and cons to both but also think about what you want in the other areas of your life. Regardless, it's all worth it.

0