Are there some recommended courses I should take to help me further with my desired job?

I am a senior at Brennan High School and i’m interested in being a Dermatologist in the Air force and attending Texas University at Austin or Texas A&M college medicine hookem dermatologist

4

Take as many AP or IB courses in high school. You have a lot of years of education in front of you and getting college credit in high school can save you time and money.

In the US, to apply to medical school, you need a bachelor's degree. Any 4-year university should suffice.
Pick a major that interests you so you don't mind devoting a majority of your hours to studying. You will need to get good grades in college in order to apply for medical school. At the medical school I attended, the average GPA is reported to be 3.85, so even one or two B's can hurt your chances of acceptance.
Aside from this, any major is acceptable as long as you complete the prerequisite courses.
Typical medical school prerequisites include:
Biology: Lecture – 4 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
General Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Organic Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Biochemistry: Lecture – 1 semester
General Physics: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Math: Statistics – 1 semester
English: Rhetoric (Composition) and Literature – 2 semesters
Try to find opportunities to pursue research.
Volunteer at your local hospital or low-income clinic. Ask physicians, PAs or other clinical providers if you can shadow them.
During college study for and complete the MCAT. Devote an entire summer to studying for the MCAT and consider paying for a prep course if you can afford it.
My son used MCAT Complete 7-Book Subject Review 2019-2020: Online + Book + 3 Practice Tests (Kaplan Test Prep) Kaplan Test Prep
It was about $140 and he achieved his goal score.
Apply to medical schools during your last year of college.
Medical school takes 4 years to complete.
After medical school dermatologists complete a 4 year residency for additional training. .

Hi Richard, this is a high school student. What types of classes should a high school senior take if they are interested in pursuing medicine? Gurpreet Lally, CareerVillage.org Team

0

Estelle’s Answer

For medical school here are recommendations:
High GPA
High MCAT
Volunteer
Shadow physicians
Study abroad
Be a leader/involved in something extracurricular that makes you more interesting to stand out in an interview.

For derm residency matching:
You need to be at the top of your class, have high STEP scores, and have derm research. It also helps if you can present at medical conferences and submit articles for publication.

0

Yolanda’s Answer

Hi Kierra!

I just graduated from college and was Pre-med. I would recommend that you take Microbiology and Anatomy (along with the other basic science courses needed for the medical exam MCAT)! However, when applying to medical school they often look at different aspects of your application not only your grades and courses. Make sure you have clinical and volunteer experiences. Good luck on your journey!

0

Rupali’s Answer

B.pharmacy and homopathetic is useful courses if you want to are average in study and like medical much and wants to make your courier in it.

We can take admission after 12th in both and continue with our dream.

0