How do I know if I'm being paid appropriately for my skills?

5

I am planning on moving to a new state soon and I wish to know how I should determine my payroll in a future position to be appropriately suffice for me and if it is not, how I could request for a better pay. #financial-planning #career

5

Mark’s Answer

0
This is a very important question that you should absolutely explore in thorough fashion especially when planning to move to another State. First off, you would need to assess yourself as far as skill set, experience, education level, etc. There are many books available to you that are focused on knowing your worth/value which might be helpful. I would also work with some recruiting and job research companies who can help you to understand market averages or ranges for your specific field. You also have the ability to do some of this research on your own via different job search engines and portals. For example, LinkedIn has different options for you to select salary range possibilities within certain job fields.

Another aspect to consider is the art of negotiation and how to master it. Salary "ranges" can be wide and it is important to have the confidence and skills to negotiate the best possible salary for yourself. This would also cause you to consider the amount of money you "want" to make versus "need" to make as you enter a new company in a new state. Sometimes it is about getting in at the highest possible salary and sometimes it is about getting a foot in the door regardless of salary level and growing from there.

Finally, ask the person who is interviewing you what the average salary is for this specific job and also what the top performers are earning.

Mark recommends the following next steps:

• Leverage job search resources on the internet and in applications like LinkedIn
  • Speak with a recruiting service adviser in the State that you are looking to move to
  • Prepare your negotiation tactics based on your experience, skills and education level
0

Dennis’s Answer

0
Alfredo - definitely do your research on salary as each state can differ.
website salary.com will also help and give you a better idea of each jobs worth/each state -
With a possible new Employer set the expectations of your past salary and your goals along with what you feel should be worked in to your Compensation. Stay motivated and Best of Luck with the move!
0

Rebecca’s Answer

0
Many Human Resources Agencies or Research Organization conduct market research on regular basis usually on annual basis. They would publish reports on their research. You can review similar industry sector, position and years of experience for reference.
0

Nicole’s Answer

0
Read the book Know Your Value by Mika Brzezinski
Hi Nicole, what is the book about and how will it help the student? Gurpreet Lally
0

Sharonne’s Answer

0

Salary can be determined by a lot of factors: education, experience, skills, company size, assets of the company, etc. To find out if you are being paid appropriately, you should research salary.com for your state and other states. Do a comparison to ensure that you are moving in the right direction. This should outline everything for you. Also, do your research on the company as well.

Sharonne recommends the following next steps:

• Look up the state that you are planning to move too, then compare the salaries to other states. This information can be found on the internet www.salary.com.
0