What's the best part and the worst part about the medical field whether you a doctor, nurse, surgeon, or sit behind the desk ??

3
3

1
The worst part about being a physician is meeting a patient and realizing that there is nothing that you can do to cure him or her. Sometimes you operate on patients who only get worse, not better. It can be very disheartening.
1

Jodi’s Answer

0
Hi Lorissa! Great question. I am a registered nurse. I love being a nurse. It is very rewarding to know that at the end of a hard day you may have made a difference in someone's life by helping them in some way. Whether it is a smile, kind words, holding a hand, comforting loved ones, honestly answering questions, just listening or being able to be part of the team that treats them and heals them. One of my favorite quotes is by Maya Angelou: "People may not remember what you said or what you did, but they will remember how you made them feel." This is so true. I like being able to help patients and family to understand their treatment and illnesses. They are often afraid to let their primary care providers know they have questions, or let them know they don't understand. Another thing I love about being a nurse is seeing patients that I had cared for out in society and be able to see how well they are doing. The bad things about being a nurse are losing patients even though you know you and the team did everything they could. Politics that cause staffing restrictions that keep you from giving the type of care you would like to give. Having to spend more time on charting than patient care. But in the end, for me anyway, the things I love about nursing outweigh the things I don't like.
0

Alexandria’s Answer

0
Best part hands down for me is when a patient’s experience aides in their process of getting well. Simple smiles, patience, and compassion/empathy go a long way for people. Especially when they don’t feel good or don’t want to be at the doctor. I would say the worst part is in regards to burn out. Regardless of the position, as in your question, constantly being on the go can take a toll on your body both physically and mentally. Working in healthcare relies heavily on simple customer service, as you want to ensure you provide the best possible experience for your patients. Sometimes this means not taking things patients say personally or being polite when people become unruly. At times it can become overwhelming/draining if you do not provide yourself with routine self care. For example taking a day off, stepping away for a few minutes to relax and re-center your mind, eating properly, etc. As with any job, you must pro-actively take care of yourself, or your body will remind you to.
0

Dan’s Answer

0
A negative aspect of being a physician is all the things that you have to deal with outside of medicine -- electronic medical record, insurances, non-medical management. It is especially bad when they start to inhibit patient care.
0