What do find most enjoyable as a Public Relations Specialist?

4

Kimberly’s Answer

You are choosing a career that has success built on not just the mechanics of knowing the trade but also on relationships, hone this part of your skill set and never underestimate the power of being likeable and trustworthy. People choose to work with people they like, especially when it comes to areas that require more social interaction. Toastmasters is a great organization if you are more introverted to learn how to communicate and express yourself -- but it is also fantastic for extroverts to focus their delivery and appeal to everyone. Think about the doctors and nurses, coaches, teachers etc that are more kind, listen, engage, make you feel comfortable and heard. Those are the people you want to see again and trust. This will be key to your success anywhere but also very much in your chosen field. And have a back up because this area is very crowded with applicants. Good Luck!

0

Quyen’s Answer

Working in PR has been enjoyable because you partner with many different outlets. For example, when I worked in sports PR, I worked closely with the media. My partners were those in radio, broadcast, television, etc. and making sure that they had the information they needed in order to report correctly. Being in this role made me feel close to the business and the news. Every day serves a different purpose so it's not monotonous. Hope this helps!

Quyen recommends the following next steps:

Reach out to people currently in a PR role.

0

Sofia’s Answer

Public relations, unlike advertising or marketing, can be described as earned media rather than paid media. This element is what I love most about the PR field. Your relationships with media professionals and the newsworthiness of the stories you're pitching are what land you media coverage. I still get a rush of excitement when a reporter shows interest in a topic I pitched! It's certainly a rewarding career.

0

Brianna’s Answer

One of the things I've enjoyed most about my work in public relations has been working for agencies where you work on multiple accounts/clients instead of just one. In my experience this creates more opportunities to learn and develop new skills as you get to work on a larger variety of projects. It's also great because you often get to learn about of lot of different businesses and industries. No day is ever quite the same!

0