The best part of being a social worker or psychologist is interacting with all of the various clients and being a part of a clinical team. Helping people to get to a "state of better" is always rewarding. There will be many challenging days when you feel like the work you did was all for nothing. Then, there are days when you feel rewarded and optimistic. The worst part perhaps is all of the paperwork and dealing with insurance company regulations.
The best things about being a social worker for me:
- Working in team with other professionals to meet the needs of youth and families
- Interacting with diverse people daily and learning from them
- Having positive impact with community challenges in my own neighborhood/city
The worst parts:
- Lacking enough resources (funding and staffing) to meet all of the community need
- Usually behind in technology to make many of the processes more effective and efficient
- May have to work through a fair amount of red tape or bureaucracy to get anything done.
Hope this helps,
Angela recommends the following next steps: