The best things about being a social worker for me:
- Working in team with other professionals to meet the needs of youth and families
- Interacting with diverse people daily and learning from them
- Having positive impact with community challenges in my own neighborhood/city
The worst parts:
- Lacking enough resources (funding and staffing) to meet all of the community need
- Usually behind in technology to make many of the processes more effective and efficient
- May have to work through a fair amount of red tape or bureaucracy to get anything done.
Hope this helps,
Angela recommends the following next steps:
- Find one or two social workers in your community and see if you can schedule an informational interview or shadow them at work for a few hours to gain some first hand info. Social workers work in lots of different settings and population so pick social workers that are working with population or in a setting you are interested in such as youth in foster care or juvenile hall, older adults in a senior center or assisted living or patients in a hospital setting, etc.