What is one of the biggest challenges you have faced?

12
12

Gaurav’s Answer

1
Literally not one but many .. a few I can reckon from top of my head ..

1. Production failures causing severe business impact
2. Code breaks during client demos causing high reputation impact
3. Long working hours to fix some complex problems (48 hours in office )
4. Unable to find the area of your passion within IT resulting in you working on something boring ..
5. Project losses for a company resulting in fear of job security

1

Gil’s Answer

0
As a developer/programmer, one of the bigger challenges is to keep up with technology. Computer languages change, libraries grow, techniques improve and the resources available expand.
I have been in IT for more than 30 years and the one thing that seems to be consistent is that I'm learning one or two new things every year. And I mean new things that are reasonable big. Like a few years ago I had to learn what Software Defined Networking is.
To me, this is a challenge, but it is also one of the many joys of being in the IT world; you get to learn new stuff from various sources, including people, on a regular basis.
0

Pete’s Answer

0
Hi Alexander - nice question....and possibly loads of answers !
The biggest challenge for me was figuring out what I wanted to do as a job/career way back when I was in school (high school). I still don't know if I got that right, even 30 years in :-)
Obviously there are challenges at work every day, you make choices and go with them.
Regarding your career, someone once said to me you can change your career three times during your life, i.e. move from medicine to IT or construction to health care, etc. You have time to do this, so the biggest challenge may be having the commitment to make a decision, go with it, then realising you have made the wrong one, then changing again. Don't do this too often....but go all-in every time.
Good luck !

0

venkatachalam’s Answer

0
what you learn in school is always behind the industry. When you start working, there is a need to learn more things.
People already working are ahead of you. You need to quickly catch up.
This is where a strong background helps. point is not to get discouraged but work at it.
I had to go through this every time I changed jobs or even projects.
I was fortunate that Bell Labs has a culture where if you ask people that know what you need, they gave the information freely. When it was my turn, i always made it a point to do the same.
0

Linda’s Answer

0
We all encounter challenges large and small. One must determine how to face these challenges. Yes, many may be very difficult. It may be beneficial to discuss with others on the best avenue to take, look at the different options. You can list the pros and cons and consequences. There is always a lesson to be learned and knowledge gained to help you through the next hurdle. Stay positive and focused on getting things resolved quickly so you can continue moving forward.
0

Linda’s Answer

0
0

0
You will find that your "most difficult" challenge changes over time. As your grow and learn, you will find that different things stretch you in new ways. My advice, keep an open mind, be willing to learn, and expect that you will face something new every day.
0

Jill’s Answer

0
Hi Alexander,
For me, major change is always a challenge and change is constant in the tech industry. One of my favorite leaders once said, "Change can happen by us, with us, or to us." I'd much rather be the one making the changes happen and have found ways to leverage my skills to enable and drive changes in the organization every day. Lean into the challenges because they are what make you grow.
0

Jo’s Answer

0
One of the large challenges was moving countries while working full time job. It required managing a lot of moving parts at the same time. The interesting part of the move is that it isn't over once you go to your need place. The learning period of new culture / people / customs / daily routes / fun activities may take a few months once you move.
0

Mark’s Answer

0
Alexander -

Over the last 10+ years I have built a career around working remotely and engaging business partners via phone, fax and mail. At the onset of my career we did not have the technology that we have today i.e. Zoom & Email. The challenge was becoming a trusted advisor without all the technology we have today. I was able to establish trust and buy in, by going on site as needed, regular weekly meetings and delivering on my word / work. Two things set me a part 1) Integrity 2) Results. Today, I meet with via Zoom Meetings / Skype and phone calls on average 8-10 professionals a day who range from a Director of Marketing to the SVP of Finance. I believe my initial challenges have today become my greatest assets. I will say what ever you do in life don't be afraid of taking risks and being a disruptor in business. Lastly, have fun doing what ever you decide to make your way making a living.....
0

Geeta’s Answer

0
In any industry, you will face the challenges and being in IT I did face many, its hard to tag them if they were big or small. But was able to overcome them with patience and creativity.
Thank you for your response! Alexander C.
0