How to start a career in HR

4

Where can you gain some experiences in HR industry?
Do you really need a degree in HR in order to land a job?
What are some tools/software commonly used by HR professionals?

Thanks!
#human-resources
#career-details
#business
#hiringsolution

4

Jaclyn’s Answer

1
Hi there! The good thing about HR is that most companies need and have HR departments, whether that means they have one person that does all of their HR needs (for a smaller company), or hundreds of HR professionals. While this was not my path, I know that a lot of people get their foot in the door with HR through recruiting. It seems to be a good place to start for entry level HR, and generally does not require an HR degree. That being said, you do not necessarily need an HR degree to land a job in HR, however if you do not have that type of degree, then some companies will expect that you have some experience.
I would suggest looking for internships as well that could help you get your foot in the door. There are also a lot of professional HR clubs (i.e. SHRM - Society for Human Resource Management) that can help you build your network. There are a lot of HR systems out there that companies use, such as PeopleSoft and Workday, although I am not sure if you can gain much experience using them outside of a classroom setting dedicated to HRIS, or a working in them through a company.
1

Anne’s Answer

0
Hi Cindy,

I’m so glad to hear you are interested in HR. I would say that while you don’t need a degree in HR, a certification from SPHR would be very helpful. It would expose you to each discipline of HR.
Also, think of your strengths -
Is it with numbers? If so, compensation may be good for you.
Do you have strong interpersonal skills? In that case training and development or an HR generalist role could work for you. if you like a fast paced role, then recruiting could be for you.

The systems I am familiar with are Peoplesoft, Workday and Taleo for recruiting.

How to break into HR? Well there are a number of ways. Maybe enhance your current job to include some HR if you are in a small
Company, or apply to entry level positions or internships in larger companies.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Anne recommends the following next steps:

• Let us know how it goes for you.
0

BreAnne’s Answer

0
Hi! I would suggest a degree in HR would help in getting your foot in the door if you do not have applicable experience. Consider getting a PHR or SPHR certification if you do not have the degree as another way to break into the field. In addition to the tools mentioned above, Workday is also a great tool. Also, more and more industries want HR people with analytical skills, so Alteryx and Tableau are great to know.
0

Shana’s Answer

0
You do not need a degree, but having HR degree will make you more marketable in the industry. Common software is Peoplesoft, Oracle and Kronos, and Taleo.
0