How do I become a scientist?

2

I want to become a scientist but am currently studying commerce in India. Does anybody have any suggestions for ways I can pursue science/change my course of study? #science #educator #higher-education #career #college #commerce

2

Christine’s Answer

0
Hi Madan,
That is quite a switch going from Business to Science. Do you know what aspect of Science you are interested in studying? There are so many different topics and majors you can study. My suggestion is to take a little time to research the area of Science you would like to study, check what the requirements are for that degree and compare those to the courses you have already taken.

Changing majors is done a lot by students and it is understandable as you think you are interested in one field and then as you take courses you find another area that interests you more. I think one of the most important things to remember is to be sure when you change our major that you are sure that is the direction you want to go because it can lengthen your college education. Whatever you decide, it is always good to do some initial research, look into what careers are available in your field of study, check to see if there may be a secondary area to your major and possibly take some of the courses in that area.

Good luck Madan and remember you can go in whatever direction you choose, just be sure to choose wisely and follow your desire.
0

Rupam’s Answer

0

Hi Madan,

I am assuming that you are completing +2 in commerce or maybe started an undergraduate course in Commerce. While it might be a challenge to convince School/Colleges to accept your application for undergraduate courses in Science, it might help to ask about the switch you are seeking. They might suggest relevant bridge courses that might bring you at par with the expected level of knowledge in Science before beginning the course. 

Ideally, to become a Scientist in India, you are needed to complete at least 10+2+3 years of formal education with the last 5 years dedicated to the subject of your choice. After completing this when you attain your masters, you are expected to complete doctoral and post-doctoral research to be considered for Scientist positions in CSIR Institutes of National Repute like the CCMB or NPL, etc. 

The road to becoming a Scientist is long and hard but if you are focussed and dedicated to the subject of your choice, you will enjoy the journey. Wish you good luck!

0