How do you find a college with a highly specific major that's a good fit?

4

I've been having trouble finding colleges with a paleontology program that fit me as a person #college #college-advice #college-major #college-selection #major #paleontology

4

Anne’s Answer

0
Paleontology is not the most common major. Usually, undergraduates study geology at a university that offers some paleontology courses. I was a geo major, but had a minor in biology. My master's thesis involved paleontology, which is essentially studying the biology of the ancient Earth so the bio minor was very helpful. Find a school you really like that has a good Geology or Earth Science department. Read about the professors and what kind of research they do. If there are professors that do work in paleontology, then they probably teach courses in it as well. Read the course catalog online for the universities you like to make sure they have at least a few courses in that field. As Eric said, you will probably want to go into a grad program to further your education and gain expertise specifically in paleontology. But find a college/university that's a good fit for you first. And don't ignore schools with 2-year degree programs (there seem to be a lot in Arizona). Sometimes they have excellent programs and can give you a good start when you decide to transfer to a 4-year school.

Check this out: http://www.eac.edu/Academics/Programs_of_Study/Geology/

0

Dave’s Answer

0
I would start with this list of universities that offer higher level paleontology degrees. They will be best positioned to have the faculty and institutional resources that meet your interests regardless of what your declared undergraduate major is.

The Directory of Graduate Programs in Paleontology recognized by the Paleontology Society is listed here: https://www.paleosoc.org/directory-of-graduate-programs-in-paleontology/
0

Christine’s Answer

0
If it were me, I would try to reach out to someone in that major at a specified University. Professors or the administration in that department, maybe? In addition, find organizations related to that field, they may be willing to put you in touch with someone who has gone down the path you are trying to embark in. They may be able to guide you or answer questions you may have. It really is about tapping into resources that may be there in that field of study. Most people in that type of field are very passionate and more than happy to share information. COMMUNICATION is key and not being afraid to talk to people and ask questions. GOOD LUCK!
0

Eric’s Answer

0
Fields like paleontology require advanced degrees. You might be better off getting an undergraduate degree in something like biology or geology then apply for a phd program that is specifically paleontology.
0