Whats the best way to get Software Engineering Internships

7

Hello I'm doing a MS in physics at the University of Washington and would love to get a SDE internship for the summer but I'm having problems getting interviews. # #engineering #interviews #internship #job-application

7

Alyssa’s Answer

1
Make sure your resume is tailored to a software engineering role! Highlight the programming languages and projects you have worked that would be relevant.

Read the job descriptions as well, each company has a different Tech Stack preference and uses different programming languages. If your resume has one of those, focus on those relevant projects to highlight what the company is looking for.
1

Deon’s Answer

1
Mohamed,

First, don’t give up, you should keep applying. Since you are located in Washington, there are several tech companies’ engineering zone there, such as: Microsoft, Amazon, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc. This should increase your chances at getting a Software Engineering internship.

I recommend trying this approach, try applying to hackathons and technology summits at these companies.
1

0
I currently work as a Campus Recruiter in a tech company.

Here are some tips on how to land a software internship:

- Have an up to date LinkedIn profile which has your degree, majors, relevant work experience. Recruiters do use LinkedIn. They also use other platforms like Handshake, Jumpstart and Piazza as well, so make sure you have profiles on those platforms too so recruiters can find you.

- For your resume - make sure you have clearly stated your degree, your expected graduation date, majors, university. Also dont forget to put any personal projects, hackathons, coding competitions that you have participated in! A link to a github account is also great to add.

- Attend conferences and events if you can to network and meet employers. Join the relevant student society at your university and actually attend and go to events to learn more about the industry.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
0

Charles’s Answer

0
Make sure your resume and/or cover letter or linkedIn profile reflects the software engineering talents that you have... what languages do you use? What projects - even hobby projects - did you create? What challenges did you overcome?

DO NOT agree to a free internship in my opinion - you always need to be paid for your skills.

If you get an interview - ASK what problems you can help solve - Listen carefully - and answer thoughtfully - show the interviewer that you can contribute to the effort.

You might contact Boeing and also north of Seattle Fluke - a large test equipment company.

You could also work online - taking software development tasks on sites like Fiverr to gain experience.
0

George’s Answer

0
I wouldn't limit myself to just high tech companies; I'd look at any large organization as they all have need for bright people willing to learn and apply new things. One approach: often companies will establish relationships with local colleges and universities. If you can, I'd visit nearby placement offices at these schools and ask if they have any listings and/or contacts with local firms. That's how I landed my first summer job when I went to college.
0

Neel’s Answer

0
If you are in the lucky situation to not need a salary from an internship, there are many startups who are always looking for a free pair of hands. Usually, companies in such a situation have a lot to offer to interns who are willing to learn by doing hard things. There would be little structure, hardly any process, parts of the code would be a jumble - in other words, a glorious mess. It takes a special intern to learn from other people's mistakes and make bold changes to bring sanity. Many years ago, I was such an intern and what I learned then still serves me on a daily basis.

In LinkedIn, you can turn on the flag that says "Actively looking for a position" and let others find you. Meanwhile, build up your skillset in your favorite tech stack via StackOverflow (and contribute good answers) and people would look for you.
0